Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best single flight you have ever had?

Hi Mark,

Looks familiar! :-)

I recently had the opportunity to fly the Akshayuk Pass from Qikiqtarjuaq to Pangnirtung on Baffin Island in Northern Canada.
You fly past Thor Peak with its 4,000’ vertical shear drop over glaciers and through part frozen fjords.
That and the flight across the East Greenland coast a few days earlier will certainly remain among the most memorable.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

So many to choose from! The Spitfire flights have been memorable, especially the 2nd one where I flew in formation with my own Falco.
I once took a decorated Lancaster Pilot in a PA28 to Conningsby where we got an official reception from the BBMF and a personal guided tour of the Lancaster; that was a very moving day.
Bizarrely, I’ve rather enjoyed the serious issue flights I’ve had too, the adrenaline rush from successfully dealing with emergencies was worryingly enjoyable!

Forever learning
EGTB

After reading this thread – none I guess….. :-(

EKRK, Denmark

Not really a single flight but a whole series. When I finished my work in Houston, I took two months off and flew my Cessna 140 from Texas to the west coast, back to Texas (to do the 50 hour maintenance – it was pretty much 50 flight hours out to the west coast), then out to the east coast including a day out at First Flight in North Carolina where the Wright Brothers first flew.

Virtually the whole thing was done using paper maps and looking out the window. The whole idea was to enjoy navigating the whole trip by hand rather than magenta line. The only time I turned my handheld GPS on was when near prohibited or restricted areas.

Andreas IOM

That’s a very moving post, Fenland_Flyer. You did a great deed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For me it was many years ago when a dear friend was dying. He was a retired RAF pilot and asked if I would take him to see his chosen burial place on the banks of Loch Lomond, before he died. It was a huge pleasure to do this and we chose a really nice gin clear day and flew from my grass strip in Lincolnshire, toured round the Loch and then returned home. He spoke very little on the way home but the tears said it all. To be a pilot sometimes confers great priviledge in that we can do things few others can. For me that was a most memorable journey. He died a few weeks later and I like to think he had the aerial view of his last resting place in mind when he died.

UK, United Kingdom

Rwy20 wrote:

So are you currently shopping for an L-39 to trade in your current ride? It would certainly get you to your destination even quicker.

No certainly not. But it was good fun.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

The second was my recent type rating check ride in Santa Fe in an L-39.

So are you currently shopping for an L-39 to trade in your current ride? It would certainly get you to your destination even quicker.

I can’t really single out one particular flight either. I like flying in 3D, into the valleys, between mountains. Last year we had a sightseeing trip into Trollheimen (the home of trolls) at a fly in. The route was made by a local guy. We were 10-15 planes or something flying the same route at the same time. It was really fun.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message