Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Book Request: IMC Confuser

Does anyone have as copy of the aforementioned book that is surplus to requirement?

It’s been recommended to me a few times, bit it seems unavailable presently.

If anyone has one they no longer want or can lend me for a short while, I’d be much obliged.

Last Edited by Lee at 07 Aug 07:16
Lee
Barton EGCB, United Kingdom

It does look rare. You could save the title in eBay and Abebooks to get a notification the next time one is listed for sale. Otherwise try any local airfields in case they have one lying around on their bookshelves. It’s a long shot, but the public library might have a copy.

It’s been out of print for a while, but at least for the theory exam this shouldn’t matter as the questions haven’t been updated since the early 1990s.

I recently read the Pooleys Radio Navigation and Instrument Flying book, but in my opinion it needed serious editing. It was longer than the entire French PPL theory book; I suspect at each new edition it was added to rather than re-written, e.g. whole paragraphs copied and pasted with just one or two words changed.

If it helps, a couple of old pdfs I found:
imc_ground_school_course and updated one here link
The_IMC_Rating

Probably overkill for the IR(R), but by far the most concise and well-written are ErlendV’s CBIR books.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Don’t get me started on the Pooley’s books. I appreciate that they work for some, but most of the people I’ve spoken about them seem to share my opinion that they are overly verbose and full of unnecessary bloat. Personally I find them entirely indigestible. This I imagine is the reason why Easy PPL Ground School is so successful. Their business model of renting a deck of slides for a month at extortionate prices drives me crackers, however the way the information is stripped down into succinct, easy to digest segments is amazing for the transfer of relevant knowledge. If only the CB-IR had something similar.

Thanks for the links, I’ll go take a look.

The CB-IR books look promising, if very pricey for 100 page Kindle offerings.

Lee

I have read the Pooleys books (used to be called Trevor Thom 20 years ago) and you would never get a PPL with them because you would need too much sleep

I used the PPL Confuser and just sat the exams.

I have seen the IMC Confuser and my feeling is that unless the CAA is totally inept it would be out of date for the IMCR exam. But one never knows… I think Capitaine has posted much better links.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Lee, there is another forum which also has a dedicated for sale section, where it’s not uncommon to see Wanted notices. The IMC confuser has swapped hands in this way afew times in the past.

Might be successful.
It’s worth noting, that I’ve never been on there and never read anything not written on Euroga. Never, and don’t tell Peter I’m aware of another forum.

United Kingdom

Very funny

Most people put stuff up on FB, with the words “mods delete if inappropriate” but the mods want all traffic, so that’s how you get rid of stuff.

I haven’t seen the IMC Confuser for sale for years, though I think there is a scanned PDF foating around – like there is one of the PPL Confuser (I have that one).

Mostly it will be dreary stuff about the VOR and ADF. There is a much better book on those – here which I have and you can have it FOC.

Administrator

Peter, I’m not concerned about the IR(R) exam. I already have a few great resources for that and I’m also using the Easy PPL Ground School question bank, which is excellent and how I passed all my other exams. The issue will come when studying for the CB-IR, since they do not support that.

Pete, does that other alleged forum allegedly cost £100 a year allegedly? I can’t see me justifying that when this one is free.

Lee

That’s very kind of you Peter, but I already have plenty of information on instruments.

Lee

Lee

Remember that unlike the PPL, you must be registered with an ATO for the CBIR theory, and will need at least two separate signatures* confirming course completion in addition to passing all the exams. Since EasyPPL isn’t an ATO, you could only use it as an extra.

I used CATS for the ATO supplemented heavily by AviationExam for my IR question bank practice, with a month of Bristol Ground School QB for good measure. The CBIR theory is significantly smaller than the original full IR theory, and there are other ATOs offering that now. I believe only one day in the classroom is required

*One on a course completion certificate when applying for the skill test and a second on the rating application form.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

you must be registered with an ATO for the CBIR theory, and will need at least two separate signatures* confirming course completion in addition to passing all the exams

I had this in 2011. Had to give £1000 to an outfit at EGHH for 10 ring binders with IR theory (lots of incorrect “airliner” stuff in them) to get signed off for the exams. The theory (no pun intended) was that they sign you off for the exams only once you handed in a load of homework assignments, with minimum marks achieved, but they forgot and signed me off, and they found out but too late, after I passed all 7 exams Once I had the exams done I put the binders on Ebay, untouched That is how the ground school FTO business runs in Europe, it seems. One of many blocks to the IR… More here and it has not changed much!

But this is off topic for the IMCR book. That is just 1 exam which you can sit at your local PPL school – just like in the US.

Administrator
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message