Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bordeaux LFBD visual approach (VAC/VPT approach?)

Nantes and Bordeaux are very noise sensitive. Not only for arrivals, but also for departures, thrust me. As for the Pipistrel, assuming it is following IFR flight rules, will also be bound to the rules, electric or not
Loads of airports have specific rules for flying visual approaches whilst under IFR regime. Again, all part of the briefing, best done prior to the approach…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Loads of airports have specific rules for flying visual approaches whilst under IFR regime. Again, all part of the briefing, best done prior to the approach…

Where do you get the plates to breif for flying visual approaches under IFR, is that in Jepps/AIP plates? or some company manuals? what I used so far were GEN & AD text entries and VAC charts, or there are other precious pieces

Say for Nantes LFRS which I am familiar with, I don’t recall they had an “plate for noise instructions while on IFR visual”

I have to say this is the first “environmental visual” I ever saw published, I am sure there is one for Heathrow & DeGaulle for those flying in B737 but it’s not in AIP, where does one get this info? the breif for Bordeaux on noise sensitive procedures is very light and not much in common with ENV1 plate instructions…

It seems ENV1 can be used in conjunction with this RNP Visual? this can’t be flow by most GA anyway (in evaluation for approved AOC only and needs GPS with RF capability, if that fails you revert to MK1 Visual), the “RNP Visual” lists a vertical profile & weather minima but it’s not VPT as no M/DH is attached to it, I am sure someone understands this stuff very well

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Oct 20:51
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Say for Nantes LFRS which I am familiar with, I don’t recall they had an “plate for noise instructions while on IFR visual”

AD 2 LFRS ENV 01.

T28
Switzerland

I’m not sure what exactly your problem is.
You need to put the VPT(used to be called MVI) and MVL aside. They are different things as you have agreed. The visual approach is an IFR approach the pilot asks for when s/he has the visibility to make a landing without the risk of re-entering IMC at any point on the approach. The ATC has to agree this as your intent is usually to shortcut the IAP where you might conflict with other aircraft doing the full procedure.
For most Visual approaches there is not even an approach plate, but in the case of Bordeaux and other sensitive areas there are instructions so that you don’t upset anyone. These are normally dealt with in the text pages of the plates, however If these are complex instructions there will a IAC chart, as in the case of Bordeaux and explanatory text carried on the plate. But as already has been said you need to study them carefully. But they are quite self explanatory if you take your time over them.

France

Looking at Nantes & Cannes it’s mostly text descriptions and self explanatory instructions on how to fly visual, Bordeaux visual however, it has prescribed NAV/GPS track to keep to one side, a purist will say you need GPS & DME & ADF to legally fly it

What about the “SOGBO RNP Visual”, this is more than just noise instructions for freestyle visual approach?

At what time some “plate with graph & text” becomes an “approach”?

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Oct 21:41

but in the case of Bordeaux and other sensitive areas there are instructions so that you don’t upset anyone. These are normally dealt with in the text pages of the plates, however If these are complex instructions there will a IAC chart

They are also used to show high ground and specific dangers (e.g. Ajaccio).

T28
Switzerland

Ibra wrote:

Bordeaux visual however, it has prescribed NAV/GPS track to keep to one side,

No, that is not a prescribed track. That has been stated many times now. It is a boundary that you should keep to the north/northwest of. Looking at the LFBD 19-11 (Jepp), the text says

In order not to overfly densely populated areas for North arrivals avoid flying in the Southeast of specified axes 229° and 193° till R-275 BMC.

If you look at the chart you will find these “axes” with directions 229° and 193°, as well as the 275° radial from BMC. The text on the LFBD ENV 01 (AIP) chart is similar.

In fact, the charts further state that “Overflying SOGBO is recommended…” You will note that SOGBO is not on these “axes”, but northwest of them. This also shows that the “axes” are not tracks that are intended to be flown.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 Oct 06:14
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

that is not a prescribed track. That has been stated many times now. It is a boundary that you should keep to the north/northwest of

Which of the many charts here is this a reference to? I always thought a prescribed track is a prescribed track, although in light GA one tends to fly well within it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A prescribed track VPT or as I wrote previously MVI (manoeuvre visual impose) is a circle to land for which there is usually a plate and it lays out the tracks you should follow during the circle to land. There are no options if the VPT says turn right and fly outbound heading 230° for 2.2nm that’s what you do. It’s often marked up with different distances and sometimes tracks for the different categories of aircraft. You do not fly inside that or outside, it is a prescribed track as opposed the MVL which you.can do the circle to land your own way.
It is a visual manoeuvre just as the circle to land is but the GPS can be useful otherwise you are making mental calculations or looking for certain visual points.

France

OK “prescribed boundary” makes more sense, how it’s flown you load something in FMS or navigator? you tune DME/ADF? or keep some building landmarks on your left?

It seems you will need to flyby SOGBO at 5kft for the visual 05 though?

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Oct 07:33
Sign in to add your message