Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

C510 weak battery, and starting jets in tailwind

Nxi upgrade solved the problem: since then no weak battery anymore.
The electric power required by the legacy G1000 was apparently the main cause for weak battery.
Neither Textron nor Garmin told about that in their sales pitch for upgrade.

Paris, France

Some airliners even have a procedure for deploying the thrust reverser before start if you must start in more than x knots of tailwind. Saves an auto shutdown during start or, worse still, a hot start.

Last Edited by Antonio at 10 Dec 22:43
Antonio
LESB, Spain

With maintenance or flying of about 11 or so turbine types none of them have liked tailwind starts and on one or two of them it was a recipe for cooking the hot end……… don’t do it !

“ I wonder if airliners have such a limitation? It would cause havoc at airports.”

Yes they do and no it’s not really a problem. Anticipation is key here. Crossbleed-start was more interesting.

EBST, Belgium

Piotr_Szut wrote:

The AFM says that when charging the battery must remain on a continuous watch

The AFM of the PA46 even said, that the battery must not be charged at all while built into the plane. I assume, however, there is kind of an STC that removes this limitation….

Germany

Peter wrote:

I wonder if airliners have such a limitation?

Airliners generally have a lot more power available for starting – most of them have an APU providing prodigious amounts of pneumatic power for the starter.

Andreas IOM

Roger wrote:

Tailwind limitation seems to be mostly a citation issue

It’s predominantly a Williams issue, but also applies to many small turbofan engines. On the King Air the wind direction has minimal effect on the starts, Not surprising given the convoluted flow path through a PT6

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Having switched out Gill batteries for a Concorde in another jet I can confirm they work much better. The only negative is apparently they are less robust if multiple starts are required in short succession (>3).

Tailwind limitation seems to be mostly a citation issue. Maybe not an official procedure, but you can always dry motor the engines to get them turning in the right direction before adding fuel in a strong tailwind ;)

EGBB

quatrelle wrote:

PA46 Jetprop … 2 batteries … has no problems with any of the above

Well it still can have problems. It just has two batteries. If the starting battery is poor it can be the same as a Meridian. If there is a tailwind, that can also affect it. If it is hot and high it can have problems.

EGTK Oxford

PA46 Jetprop … 2 batteries … has no problems with any of the above

23 Posts
Sign in to add your message