Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Century IIB autopilot fixed

If you have the stomach to, do take a look at the GI-275 instead of the G5, maybe it will be able to drive the AP in all modes; I’m pretty sure it can with the King APs, not sure about Century. I’m sure the shop will be able to take back the G5s and bill you for the more expensive stuff. But then you’re close to GFC-500 pricing, and definitely close to Aspen E5+EA100…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

take a look at the GI-275 instead of the G5
It can fake the HSI and heading bug to the Autocontrol II/Century IIB, but not the attitude.

Unfortunately.
ESMK, Sweden

Back to Aspen I guess… Not that bad of an idea…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Arne wrote:

It can fake the HSI and heading bug to the Autocontrol II/Century IIB, but not the attitude.

ah this really sucks.

Switzerland

ah this really sucks.

That’s why you want to get rid of the vacuum system…

LFMD, France

I haven’t been following this in detail, but is the GI275 possibly relevant for the attitude?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The GI-275 (which I suggested above) turns out to be as useless (as @Arne pointed out) for an older Century AP as the G5 for the King stuff, unfortunately. It will only do heading and not attitude.
Given time, perhaps the AV-30 will fill a void, or, just maybe, Dynon (but at a much higher cost, and possibly not in EASA planes).
But seriously, price out an Aspen E5, it recently got a nice software upgrade and does a real HSI representation.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

What is the current attitude source for the Century AP?

Administrator

tmo wrote:

The GI-275 (which I suggested above) turns out to be as useless for an older Century AP as the G5 for the King stuff, unfortunately. It will only do heading and not attitude.
To be fair, it can do attitude for a whole bunch of autopilots, just not the Century II/III/IV.
Peter wrote:
What is the current attitude source for the Century AP?
The vacuum-driven AI.
ESMK, Sweden

KI256 / KG258?

This may not be the desired answer but I’ve been flying behind vac pumps and KI256s for 18 years and it really isn’t a big fish to fry. I’ve never had a vac pump fail (I change them as soon as the vacuum falls below the green arc) and I have a spare KI256 and change then over. They come up on US Ebay rgularly and cheaply.

I would spend money on a more flashy navigator (IFD or GTN), TAS…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message