Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 210 wing spar AD - and looking for an eddy current inspection

I think applying a liquid into the ceiling cavity is a tricky thing, because it will drip down onto your head and make a gigantic mess

On a low wing plane it works ok because you spray it from underneath and it has nowhere to go.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Antonio wrote:

Our aircraft is not subject to the AD . It has no corrosion since it has a fully chromated spar,

At present, this is true. The first of four 210’s I’ve been involved with on this issue was a P210, with a factory primed spar. It had enough corrosion that it was a close call to not passing, and it lives in a dry part of Canada. Note that the AD does hint that it may be revised. I expect that it will be to include all cantilever 210’s, the FAA is still accumulating statistical data.

Also note that the P210 I had to issue the approval for had had a wrong (too long) wing to fuselage fairing screw installed, which wore into on of the spar lugs (to which the wing attaches). Though the damage to the spar lug was only 0.013" deep, the location was critical, and it nearly scrapped the spar. Assure that the fairing screws do not bear into the spar lug.

The spar in the wing is a multi part unit, where the fuselage spar carry through is single part. A multi part structure can fail an element, and maybe survive until noticed at inspection. When the single part spar carry through cracks, there is no alternate load path.

The AD requires following the Cessna Service Letter. If you take defect damage report to Cessna for their authorization to continue to operate [the plane] following dressing out the defects, and there are any STC mods on the wings (STOL cuff, VG’s, tip tanks, speed brakes) Cessna will decline to approve. I’ve had to issue one STC for this, and have another on the near horizon. It is very fair of Cessna to decline to authorize “repair” to their wing which has been modified other than by them, but it will leave the owner stuck…

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

It’s worth noting that the very earliest (narrow body) 182’s (which are my favourite Cessnas)

Grrrr!**!! @Pilot_DAR please stop sharing well kept trade secrets

The darn 182A and B are now overtaking the early C180 in second hand values, and it is only time before the sleeper 182C is ‘discovered ‘.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Antonio wrote:

@C210flyer I assume your quote includes the headliner R/I?

Nope that is just for the company to come out (2hrs travel each way) and do the Eddy Current inspection which takes about 1 hour. Seems that it is difficult to get the certification certificate to do the inspections in Europe. There are three levels of operators. The AD calls for someone with a Level 2 certification. I was hoping someone has information on a company that will travel to do the inspection for a more reasonable price.

I get the impression from speaking to people that if you have an M model or earlier and if it has been treated with anticorrosion material or that no corrosion is found that the Eddy Current is not required. This is not the case. All models earlier than N need to have a one time Eddy Current inspection done.

KHTO, LHTL

Peter wrote:

I think applying a liquid into the ceiling cavity is a tricky thing, because it will drip down onto your head and make a gigantic mess

I guess this is another one of the few advantages for low wings in the low vs high wing discussion (cant locate it but it surely must be somewhere in the forums). I suppose this is also an advantage for us in the baldish camp vs the hairy-heads

Jokes aside, LPS3, COR-BAN 23 (as required by CESSNA SEL57-08 for the spar reprotection) and other high-viscosity CIC’s can be brush-applied or even with an impregnated piece of cotton with little or no dripping.

I am not familiar with DV9

Last Edited by Antonio at 05 Mar 13:37
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Pilot_DAR wrote:

The first of four 210’s I’ve been involved with on this issue was a P210, with a factory primed spar

I’m surprised, since I also understood that the moisture-grabbing foam on the underside of these was isolated from the spar by a sheet of plastic (as it is on ours) but I guess different SN’s vary. Or perhaps it was air-conditioned (unlike ours) with the associated moisture collection in the area or it still had the infamous corroded CAT tubing unreplaced with SCAT or better?

Pilot_DAR wrote:

Assure that the fairing screws do not bear into the spar lug.

Wow! That is a good point and one every owner and technician should be aware of…which brings back my point on today’s difficulty in finding good mechanics.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

C210_Flyer wrote:

Nope that is just for the company to come out (2hrs travel each way) and do the Eddy Current inspection which takes about 1 hour

Maybe a good excuse for you to fly to his location? Drop me a pm if you want to discuss alternatives, and in any case I wish you good inspection results!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

cant locate it but it surely must be somewhere in the forums

Here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Please could one of the experts on this forum clarify the following information. In the Cessna Parts manual the following is stated.

C210 Serial 21058937 THRU 21058968
uses part 1210702-1

C210 Serial 21058969 THRU 210590200
uses part 1210702-9

C210 Serial 210590200 THRU 21060089
user part 1210702-11

We have a serial model 210 21058922 but on the actual main spar the Part No is 1210702-467
There are some other spar with the Part No 1210702-468

Then there is also an A/B/C stamp. Is there an equivalent or new part no that Cessna is using or how is the nomenclature of the last digit working on this part

South Africa

Hi @Ebribur!

I dont know the answer but may I suggest you post on CPA (if not a member I can post on your behalf) or Beechtalk? Alternately you can contact cessna support.
Hopefully you do not need to replace the part and you can just repair it!

Good luck!

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message