Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus auto recovery button

The parachute deployment airspeed was demonstrated at Vpd of 133 knots. The demonstrated loss of altitude was 400 feet from level flight and 920 feet from initiation of a 1-1/2 turn spin. It is know that CAPS will work at much higher speeds. Four CAPS deployments occurred successfully at higher speeds, 168, 171, 187 and 190 knots indicated airspeed, and one deployment failed at an airspeed estimated at over 300 knots airspeed.

The Straight and Level button can be used within the parameters described above. And if you pull the power when you press it and don’t used it in 1000 ft AGL then the airplane will recover long before reaching Vne. No, it will not help you in a spin or s steep spiral power on, but it can upright the airplane in many situations, like when the pilot experiences vertigo in IMC.

We do not have to discuss that it can NOT solve all problems, that much is obvious. Hey, it’s a $ 10.000 auutopilot, it’s the best (by far) retrofit autopilot on the market and the S&L-Button is only one of its many safety features, and not the most important one.

I once flew a Eurofighter simulator in the factory. It has such a button too. But of course there’s more technology behind. It will recover the airplane fomr any sutuation and speed and put it in a wings level climb.

Peter wrote:

the envelope within which the magic blue button will recover / the aircraft doesn’t hit the ground before it works

I’m surprised noone has brought up the ‘leans’ yet. I could imagine it’d be really useful if you felt you were getting more and more disorientated. Of course a fix of incompetency in the first place, but it happens. Better than trying harder only to fail harder…

Check my posts. While I didn’t use the word “leans” I did write about Vertigo! IMHO one of the real dangers of flying in IMC

23 Posts
Sign in to add your message