Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR20 D-EXOS Crash Northern Germany

I know that usually witness reports are not so reliable but according to people who reported the N809SR accident the aircraft popped out of the clouds in spiral dive with engine producing sound indicating high power.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Looking at that SR22 wreckage field, it is amazing how little is left of it. There is almost nothing bigger than 20-30cm, and the same was probably true of the occupants. However, the same was true for Germanwings, which was made of metal, although they were going maybe 3x faster.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cobalt wrote:

I am also sure they were equipped with windows.

That would explain … but it must be a specific verions of Windows, otherwise many other plane of the same typs would have crashed :-)

ENVA, Norway

Maybe icing/bad weather a factor as well in this crash
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/05/cirrus-sr22-fatal-accident-occurred-may.html

always learning
LO__, Austria

I am also sure they were equipped with windows.

Biggin Hill

Steve6443 wrote:

I’m not aware of many SR20s being equipped with Stormscopes

Three out of the three SR20s I’ve flown had Stormscopes!

Ibra wrote:

The risk from lightning is one out of zillions the risk from loss of control due to turbulence/icing in unplanned IMC but lightning seems to have a high psychological barrier on GA pilots enough for you to drive back home or land asap when you see one…

It’s not psychological barrier – it’s reality and it happens more often than you think. Maybe not so often in small GA (although I know instructor who got three strikes – once in C172 and twice in A319) but it can happen even if you’re at (“safe”) distance from nearest Cb cell.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The risk from lightning is one out of zillions the risk from loss of control due to turbulence/icing in unplanned IMC but lightning seems to have a high psychological barrier on GA pilots enough for you to drive back home or land asap when you see one…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I would not fly under a CB because you might get hit by lightning.

It can be expensive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Anyway reading all the posts, it seems to me, that there must be another reason for the accident beside weather.

Because weather would be a much too obvious mistake (flying straight into the easily visible TS?) In this case?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
62 Posts
Sign in to add your message