Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Citation Mustang down in Germany

Does a C510 have a flight data recorder?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I don’t think so, because it is a GA aircraft and the MTOM is below 5.7 tons,
see ICAO Annex 6 Part II

For general aviation

3.6.3.3 Flight data recorders – aeroplanes for which the individual certificate of airworthiness is first issued on or after January 1989

3.6.3.3.1 All aeroplanes of a maximum certificated take-off mass of over 27 000 kg shall be equipped with a Type I flight data recorder.

3.6.3.4 Flight data recorders – aeroplanes for which the individual certificate of airworthiness is first issued after i January 2005

All aeroplanes of a maximum certificated take-off mass of over 5 700 kg shall be equipped with a Type IA flight data recorder.
Last Edited by nobbi at 18 Dec 14:25
EDxx, Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

How does the anti/de icing equipment work on the Mustang? Is it still the heated edge and rubber boots combo of the old citations

The Citation 1, 2 and even up to the Bravo had boots all round. The bleed air anti ice only appeared on the 525 series (CJ)

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I recall a accident near Salzburg about 20 years ago where a boot was cut and therefore did not work. Almost same thing Stall at low altitude.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Is there some sort of automation for the boots or do they have to be cycled manually like on pistons? If so, how critical is the timing?

Friedrichshafen EDNY

Automatic on a 2 minute cycle, with the option to manually cycle them in in between.

Biggin Hill

Apparently some German papers had information out of the district attorney’s offices.

They are talking about the flaps not having extended possibly due to icing.

I am wary of this but it appears that the district attorney of Ravensburg made some statements to this effect during a press conference.

https://www.suedkurier.de/region/bodenseekreis-oberschwaben/friedrichshafen/Vereiste-Landeklappen-wohl-Schuld-am-Flugzeugabsturz;art372474,9638665

For me, it is questionable whether the information given there is complete or just dumbed down for the journalists. If the flaps did not extend, the crew should have noticed and kept their speed up. If of course there was ice on the wings, this could rise stall speed even beyond Vclean. I wonder if it really was both flaps or possibly an assymetric condition they are talking about, which would explain a departure from controlled flight much more clearly.

In any event it will be a report to wait for, as the implications of this might be noteworthy for the Mustang crowd.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

They are talking about the flaps not having extended possibly due to icing.

That makes no sense. They were probably forgotten unfortunately. I don’t buy icing preventing flap extension I am afraid.

Last Edited by JasonC at 02 Mar 14:09
EGTK Oxford

Jason,

I agree fully. Probably once again a question of an attorney who said more than he should have but forgot the vital stuff.

If the flaps were forgotten, they should have gotten a stall warning and not fall out of the sky in the final turn without any warning.
If the flaps were selected down but did not move for some reason, same thing. They should have gotten a stall warning.

If however flaps were assymetric and possibly extending during the final turn, then it’s a different story altogether. The question is, can they?

Or, if icing is the primary suspicion, did they accumulate ice without noticing and then stalled without warning in the final turn? Or possibly a combination of both, ice contamination of the wings and lower than expected flap setting?

I can not imagine how flaps can not extend “due to ice” .

@Mooney_Driver

Why is the district attorney briefing people on the crash? Isn’t it more a matter for the German NTSB or FAA equivalents?

United States
Sign in to add your message