Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Citation Mustang down in Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

If the flaps were forgotten, they should have gotten a stall warning and not fall out of the sky in the final turn without any warning. If the flaps were selected down but did not move for some reason, same thing. They should have gotten a stall warning.

You also have an AoA presentation which works regardless of configuration on the speed tape. A flaps Fail CAS and master caution would have indicated a difference between flap handle and position.

If however flaps were assymetric and possibly extending during the final turn, then it’s a different story altogether. The question is, can they?

As well as being driven by the same motor via their own seperate linkages, the flaps have a separate mechanical interconnect which is specifically designed to prevent assymetric operation.

Or, if icing is the primary suspicion, did they accumulate ice without noticing and then stalled without warning in the final turn? Or possibly a combination of both, ice contamination of the wings and lower than expected flap setting?

Icing could be a factor along with forgetting to lower flaps.

Last Edited by JasonC at 02 Mar 15:20
EGTK Oxford

redRover wrote:

Why is the district attorney briefing people on the crash? Isn’t it more a matter for the German NTSB or FAA equivalents?

The way I understand it it was the yearly press conference of the Ravensburg district attorney and he answered questions to all kind of goings on in the area in the last year. Some papers picked it up. I bet the German BFU are not ammused at all.

JasonC wrote:

Icing could be a factor along with forgetting to lower flaps.

I agree. The way I look at the statements by this attorney is that the only factoid we can take from it is that they did not have the flaps deployed at the time they lost control. the rest should be for the BFU to find out and communicate.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Never flown a Mustang, but isn’t 240 kts at loc intercept a bit “sporty” ?

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

Never flown a Mustang, but isn’t 240 kts at loc intercept a bit “sporty” ?

Not really. You can drop gear at 250 indicated so it is moving but not indicating more than perhaps they were trying to get on the ground.

EGTK Oxford

The report drily mentions that they habitually flew that fast, and that they overshot the localiser on each occasion, so neither the autopilot nor the crew were set up to do it that fast rather than the more customary 170-180kt.

But there is nothing wrong with coming in a bit fast.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the accident, unless they banked and pulled too hard when trying to correct an overshoot with iced wings.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

The report drily mentions that they habitually flew that fast, and that they overshot the localiser on each occasion, so neither the autopilot nor the crew were set up to do it that fast rather than the more customary 170-180kt.

But there is nothing wrong with coming in a bit fast.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the accident, unless they banked and pulled too hard when trying to correct an overshoot with iced wings.

Most autopilots on green needles will not intercept well at that speed – and you wont have gps roll steering.

I think your last comment is what is implied. They were fast, perhaps some ice and they stalled.

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 Mar 20:55
EGTK Oxford
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message