Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cloud break procedure

Meanwhile would you care to expand on how the “cloud break procedure” went to someone very new to flying? And how you handled weather overall?

Is basically a procedure when a flight under IFR rules is taken through a cloud layer in order to make visual contact with the airport, at which point the flight continues visually to the landing… (getting my shields out for the incoming corrections, explanations, legal references, etc )

Before anyone start “shelling” it’s written in C172 POH things have evolved with GPS now…

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Sep 14:39
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Before anyone start “shelling” it’s written in C172 POH things have evolved with GPS now…

I don’t think that’s what Dan is referring to as his aircraft is IFR equipped (basic, but still). He is referring to getting to visual conditions for a VFR landing rather than an instrument approach.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A cloud break procedure is usually there to allow an IFR flight take advantage of being vectored to an altitude available on the MVA chart. Technically, in the UK you can use the GPS IFR database to load an approach and use the GPS up to the FAF, you would then use terrestrial radio nav from the FAF, if an RNP approach is not available. This gives you access to the platform altitude which is typically below a calculated MSA using the 1,000’ AGL any obstacles within 5 nm IFR.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

He is referring to getting to visual conditions for a VFR landing rather than an instrument approach

The POH procedure I posted above is to resume VFR cruise bellow clouds in “VFR C172” when stuck above clouds without 180deg (there is no instrument approach involved, actually there is no requirement for landing, it’s an emergency in cruise)

A cloud break procedure is usually there to allow an IFR flight take advantage of being vectored to an altitude available on the MVA chart

I had the impression a cloud-break instrument procedure is an instrument procedure that does not allow straight-in landing all the way to the ground (glide path penetrate obstacles bellow MDA or mandatory circling), they are listed in procedures as VOR-A, LOC-A, RNP-A or B, C, D…and other procedures where IFR is cancelled and VFR bellow MDA

I think you are referring to GPS fix substitution? or IFR visual approach? or DIY do it yourself? (all are subset of RNP-A or VLOC-A), obviously not be confused with IFR to non-instrument runways (e.g. GPS straight-in approach to Ouessant or Sywell or some proprietary IFR procedure)

PS: in UK, I can legally descend bellow my MSA to my MDH on stopwatch & compass heading from PLOG to land in uncontrolled airfields (“GPS DIY” is complicated as needs PBN rating and APCH annunciation after FAF…“VLOC/NDB DIY” is illegal without ATC/CAA approval and aerodrome owner permission)

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Sep 18:47

Ibra wrote:

The POH procedure I posted above is to resume VFR cruise bellow clouds in “VFR C172” when stuck above clouds without 180deg (there is no instrument approach involved, actually there is no requirement for landing, it’s an emergency in cruise)

It’s a description of an emergency procedure for pilots who are not instrument rated and/or do not have IFR instrumentation. Dan is instrument rated, his aircraft is IFR equipped and his procedure was not an emergency,

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 10 Sep 18:45
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I had impression aircraft is experimental equipped for IFR navigation and legal for IFR flight plan in US system but needs emergency descents in clouds (as in C172 POH)

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Sep 19:25

Is there such a thing as a cloud break “procedure”?
AIUI It could be a descent.through cloud using an IAP on one runway or airport in order to continue below cloud to a destination which does not have an IAP..It is as previously stated an IFR procedure at least in France because there is no such thing as VFR in IMC (legally at least) other than an emergency procedure. Of course this could be using a VDF procedure as Dan has suggested by asking for vectors.

France

I had impression aircraft is experimental equipped for IFR navigation and legal for IFR flight plan in US system but needs emergency descents in clouds (as in C172 POH)

I don’t know what limitations might be applied to a foreign experimental airworthiness certificate, but in the US experimental aircraft typically have no special limitations applied for flying in IMC.

Is there such a thing as a cloud break “procedure”?

As stated above, cloudbreak procedure is an instrument procedure not associated with a specific runway or specific airfield, this is an ICAO standard and definition, even LFFK has cloud-break, if you are not aware please double check the the approach plate it says RNP-A if you are VFR and ATC for vector for emergency descend inside clouds in cruise to make ground contact even while away from airport you can call it “cloud break”

US experimental aircraft typically have no special limitations applied for flying in IMC

They don’t, if you have IFR navigation equipment you can legally file IFR (you can even operate without pitot heat in IMC in N-reg, in G-reg I need pitot heat to enter IMC otherwise I have to “call it emergency cloud descent”)

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Sep 20:58

PS: in UK, I can legally descend bellow my MSA to my MDH on stopwatch & compass heading from PLOG to land in uncontrolled airfields

Not under IFR, where the R is rules.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
57 Posts
Sign in to add your message