Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Communicating personal data via the radio

This seem to be quite common. My home field EHLE always asks for the name of the PIC and the number of POB.
I also remember an occasion on which I had to spell out my home address via a handler radio frequency – for billing purposes.

Isn’t this conflicting with all the privacy laws we have in place nowadays?

At some point we will refuse to say our name

Frequent travels around Europe

“unable, busy piloting, look me up on G-INFO”

Andreas IOM

One time I was asked to give my name was in 2003 when I busted a French TRA (not on charts and not notamed) and instead of ATC saying something useful they asked for all my personal details so they could file a report. I didn’t know anything about the bust until I got a letter from the UK CAA 5 months later Not the way things are supposed to work…

Another time was at Bournemouth EGHH, many years ago, when I was offered the option to pay the landing fee with my credit card details over the radio I wasn’t happy about it but did it anyway. They offered a separate frequency for it but of course anybody listening could just tune that one. After something like that one may as well declare the CC stolen…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

hen I was offered the option to pay the landing fee with my credit card details over the radio

These days this is explicitly against PCI-DSS (transmitting credit card PAN and/or CVV in clear) and could get the merchant fined for non-compliance.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

These days this is explicitly against PCI-DSS (transmitting credit card PAN and/or CVV in clear) and could get the merchant fined for non-compliance.
I don’t think such people understand (or care). I once (at the time before chip and PIN on credit cards) had a car rental agent demand that I sign a sales slip in blanco, instead of paying a deposit!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

One time I was asked to give my name was in 2003 when I busted a French TRA (not on charts and not notamed) and instead of ATC saying something useful they asked for all my personal details so they could file a report. I didn’t know anything about the bust until I got a letter from the UK CAA 5 months later Not the way things are supposed to work…

Please call after I have landed works both ways.

German R/T license test specifically asked about the legal protection of aviation radio. Legally it is on the same level as traditional post/mail/letters, so personal data is legally as safe as when put in an envelope and then sent somewhere by mail, nobody may intercept it. Of course from a practical point of view it is much easier to tune into a frequency and usually you will have listeners.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Lots of people record transmissions on aviation frequencies and publish them on the internet.
Including the recordings of my emergency in January last year.

Anything you say in the airwaves is public knowledge.

LFPT, LFPN

MedEwok wrote:

Legally it is on the same level as traditional post/mail/letters, so personal data is legally as safe as when put in an envelope and then sent somewhere by mail, nobody may intercept it.

This is specific to Germany though. That’s why you won’t find anything from Germany on liveatc.net, but from others countries you do.

Aviathor wrote:

Lots of people record transmissions on aviation frequencies and publish them on the internet.
[…]

Anything you say in the airwaves is public knowledge

Not in Germany!

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message