Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Conti engines on SR20 - why the corrosion?

Does anyone know if the SR22 Conti 550 has the same cylinders?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I am not sure I understand, but if the Q is whether the Conti 550 has the same cyls as the Conti 360 then the answer is no (unlike some Lycos 360 vs 540 which do share them, just increasing the number of cyls).

Both Contis have six cyls so 360/6 cyls are smaller and different design vs 550/6 cyls . Also there are different 550 cyl designs (cross flow vs up/downdraft for a start). SR22 are crossflow.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thank you. Apparently some Conti cylinders of the SR22 have casting or alloy issues too.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I shared the findings (pictures/videos) with Loma Air and asked them about their general experience with the 6 cylinder Continentals in SR20.
Their response is quite interesting.
“With the Continental 6 cylinder engines we have the experience that in most cases the cylinders needs to be replaced between the 700 hours and 1000 hours. We even had customers with only 500 hours. These cylinder barrels have often a big wear step on TDC and the barrels are often close to service limit which makes it impossible to hone them. This of course depends also from how the engine is used and stored and everything”

I agree that disuse is enemy of all engines but it seems like Conti’s have a slight disadvantage compared to Lyco.
My opinion is by no means scientific though but at least from what I experienced.

Last Edited by By9468840 at 11 Nov 07:41
Switzerland

That’s much more than a “slight disadvantage”, because a non-turbo Lyco does normally make TBO easily, subject to usual stuff like frequent enough usage.

These cylinder barrels have often a big wear step on TDC

What would be the physical explanation for that?

and the major reason I will now rather buy a new engine rather than whatever overhaul is on offer…

Isn’t that basically a verdict on crappy overhaul shops in Europe, some of which don’t do NDT etc properly, or re-use parts which should not be re-used?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message