Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Converting Enroute IR to Basic IR (EIR to BIR)

Congratulations! Enjoy the IR 😀

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

Congratulations jfw!

I did wonder what all the EIR holders would be doing. I guess your conversion reduced the EIR population by about 50%

I wonder whether @Cessna777 did the same?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Congratulations!

EHLE, Netherlands

Passed my skill test this week. I took some time but I eventually managed to finish the CBIR course between the different availabilities (mine, the plane, the instructors) and the weather in winter it took nearly 1 year but it is now over. Yet waiting for the papers to arrive.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

jfw wrote:

Do you have the differences on top of your mind ?

You can re-validate,
1) Once in two years with IRE (or CRI with IR re-validation add on) and in middle with an FI-IR (or CRI+IRI)
2) You re-validate BIR/ME with IFR flight in SEP (just like on FAA IR or UK IMCR)

For the latter, you still need valid MEP and one one-off test with asymmetric flying with IRE+CRI/ME

In my neck of the woods that avoids pouring 1600euros every year to keep IFR legal and valid on SE & ME…if one has a sim at home, keeping currency for IFR in SE & ME is not a problem and IFR skills are easily transferable between SE & ME, otherwise FAA would have banned it for US pilots re-validations, before anyone gets twitchy on having two engines while inside clouds, I have been flying DA42 IFR on IMCR without holding MEIR, I have not fallen out of the sky yet !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

jfw wrote:

Do I understand correctly that you can got from BIR to CBIR without additional training given you have enough IFR under BIR ?

Yes, if you have BIR + 50hrs IFR PIC XC, then all you do is a skills test for CB-IR, and that is it.

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Or you could do the other way around – get your BIR, and THEN fly the hours and a conversion to CB-IR (which does not require min 10 hrs).

Do I understand correctly that you can got from BIR to CBIR without additional training given you have enough IFR under BIR ?

Ibra wrote:

the only difference is for revalidation

Do you have the differences on top of your mind ? (to avoid looking in the depressing regulations ?)

jfw

I got a quote with the hypothesis that EIR → BIR would take 20h.

From EIR with TK in your pocket, the CBIR & BIR initial would be the same, the only difference is for revalidation and multi-engine

PS: there is difference in DH minima (if instructor can’t teach 200ft DH better find a better one) and visibility minima, I am not aware of schools that runs actual training with 400/550m-1500m? other than some ATO in Brest, so no idea who come up with that restriction?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

jfw wrote:

For the CB-IR I have no feedback at all yet.

After you’ve logged the right amount of PIC hours for CB-IR, it takes 10+hrs at the ATO to complete it.
BIR got no mandatory hours…
Or you could do the other way around – get your BIR, and THEN fly the hours and a conversion to CB-IR (which does not require min 10 hrs).

EGTR

Ibra wrote:

Why you want BIR?

Well I do not “want” a BIR. I am looking at the differences and drawbacks between BIR and CB-IR knowing that these trainings are not widely provided in BE…
I got a quote with the hypothesis that EIR → BIR would take 20h.
For the CB-IR I have no feedback at all yet.

Just wondering how much time I can expect and the advantages/disadvantages from the one vs the other. I also assume that I got exempted of TK test as I have the EIR.

jfw
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message