Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aquila 210 dead stick on highway

172driver wrote:

Sim training and four-bar epaulets for an Aquila. Alright then.

We had similar case few years ago – an instructor (with student on board) dead-stick landed C172 on highway (and heavily damaged it against fence and road sign) not recognizing carburettor icing.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hope I didn’t set off any trend on the same date as today, albeit in the year 2008…

Last Edited by Dan at 03 Jan 10:51
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I remember my flight instructor in Germany telling to land at German Autobahn is one of the first choices, but those days people were aware many parts of the Autobahn were virtual runway anyways and it was close to the German-German border. That specific part now has overhead power lines to power trucks, so I would not plan to land there anymore. But, I was rather surprised a few weeks ago that commercial flight planning still uses German Autobahn as emergency landing sites to determine allowed routings – even that part which now has power lines on top of it ?

And yes, I stand in line, had two landings on roads so far, luckily in the US.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 03 Jan 11:28
Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

I stand in line, had two landings on roads so far, luckily in the US.

To get fuel or to pee?
Where was it? and what altitude?

I am puzzled when I see road landings in places like Florida or Texas, from memory it’s easy to spot zillions of airports that are within gliding range while cruising at 6kft-8kft

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Jan 11:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

To get fuel or to pee?

Actually one was indeed fuel and the highway suggested by ATC based on the need for auto fuel. They called highway police which cleared the highway and we got fuel from a gas station. Second one was engine trouble in backcountry Idaho and no real other place to get down. Very friendly people there, btw.

I still remember from old times when there was Germany –

– don’t imagine what would happen in that geographical region if this would be planned nowadays …

Germany

Dan wrote:

Hope I didn’t set off any trend on the same date as today, albeit in the year 2008…

Didn’t realize that one was you. Amazing piece of piloting, I remember it well.

Fact that your involvement in this was not known makes a huge difference to those who exploit their feats on social media. IMHO, very bad idea.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

thanks @Mooney_Driver… there also was a lot of luck involved

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

MichaLSA wrote:

don’t imagine what would happen in that geographical region if this would be planned nowadays …

Not the only place where they had strips like that. We had them in Switzerland too.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Not the only place where they had strips like that. We had them in Switzerland too.

So did we. (And still do, occasionally. –

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Jan 22:23
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I frankly fail to see the relationship of those nationalistic military demos with emergency landings as implied in this thread…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message