Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR20 PH-YMC crashed in Croatia

Mooney_Driver wrote:

There is the issue of terrain and there is the issue of performance.

SR20 with 3 POB, some luggage and a lot of fuel can be performance-challenged but I guess only if you try to out-climb terrain too late.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The weather in Ireland can be very changeable, with frontal and coastal weather quickly affecting an area. METARs and TAFs for certain airports have their own peculiarities due to the terrain around them or their location, and the fact that that they tend to be located at coastal locations. Local knowledge and experience helps. So do we need an “Ireland rating too”?

If we go down this path, before we know it, we won’t be able to cross borders anymore as every countries has its differences. You’ll have to drive there of go CAT first, to do an induction before flying there yourself! That road is not good for GA.

Every country is a little bit different. Pilots are aware of that and learn to take precautions. But occasionally someone gets caught out. It’s impossible to totally prevent while still allowing GA to function.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

9A_LDSH wrote:

Not less than (4) four major in less than full year!

Plus serious number of not documented and not reported in category of near miss.
What to say about people doing line up of 3 giro on runway obstructing the military secondary
medical flight (inbound&outbound, 15 min time frame) or taking off in UL with 20+ kt of bora tail wind, or …

You are taking 4 accidents in a year where the root cause is yet to be determined, grouping them with idiotic actions of individual pilots together and demanding action – seriously???? If I take the muppetry you are complaining about – (eg) an UL taking off with a 20 knot tailwind. Are you sure that pilot only made that mistake because he suddenly came to Croatia and the windsock functions differently there? No, the pilot made a mistake. And chances are, the same pilot might have made the same mistake in a different country – for example, France, when the Mistral is blowing. To claim that the Bora is a reason for demanding additional rules / training is – well, wrong.

But let’s savour that demand again, shall we? 4 accidents in a year and you’re demanding action? Well, thank goodness you aren’t living in Germany, we had 6 crashes with 5 fatalities in the past week – general aviation is unfortunately a risky hobby and pilots do make mistakes – all we can hope to do is learn from them and if a pattern emerges, to take action to correct it. In my eyes, your attitude – to demand a knee-jerk action before any information is known – is like Father Christmas in July – a little premature.

What makes it worse is that you effectively DEMAND that action be taken against all of us, without exception. The fact that some of us, including me, have flown in Croatia, flown repeatedly through the alps, north – south, east to west, is irrelevant. Well, as someone else said, why don’t we just ban GA in Croatia because – according to you – we’re all incompetent???

Seriously, to group all of us together and demand action due to accidents where no final report has been issued, demand action against us due to incompetence or ineptitude of an individual is just out of line. I could suggest we take a look at car crashes in Croatia – how many people died in car crashes in Croatia last year? In Croatia, 58 people per million inhabitants died in road crashes.That is above the average for EU. When are you going to start demanding people in Croatia stop driving cars?

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 22 May 10:58
EDL*, Germany

Very sad news. It looks like someone from the crashed crew wrote a PIREP in Skydemon for Maribor (LJMB), before departure under hashtag #Europavliegers 2023 at 06:68 Z. RIP.

What I don’t understand: Croatia has CAS everywhere, starting from 1000 ft AGL. Did they try to remain below class D without ATC contact? Have they been in contact with FIS (Zagreb Information) instead? Otherwise, ATC should have informed them on their low altitude. There is also a VFR route passing Mali Makovnik “VELEB 1”, which indicates in Skydemon at least 5000 ft as required altitude.

Emir wrote:

I was flying today to Lošinj and it was beautiful day except anything below FL110 was pretty challenging for clouds avoiding.
I was there from thursday to sunday too. Upon arrival, clouds were hanging over the mountains on the mainland. Lošinj was however cloudless. Friday was also fine, but saturday was broken to overcast with some light rain in the afternoon. Sunday was very sunny in Lošinj, but also a bit hazy, making it impossible to see the mainland from the island. I was also very happy with my two Garmin G5 on board, as I had almost no ground reference upon departure over the Adria, except when looking to the right towards the mainland.

Btw. Sadly we didn’t see each other. I left shortly before 11:30 am towards Samedan.
Last Edited by Frans at 22 May 11:41
Switzerland

I can only conclude that some PPL gang here, are not ready to read with understanding.
Well, it is your flying and life, Darwin described the case, while ago :)

The rest are getting the point. For sure some kind of 9A VFR guide can be made.
Majority of you for sure know about this official source*, but no harm to repeat =>
https://www.crocontrol.hr/UserDocsImages/AIS%20produkti/VFR_prirucnik/index.html

Some of you who is ready to read, can also find this article useful…
https://www.easa.europa.eu/community/topics/windshear

Last Edited by 9A_LDSH at 22 May 13:18
Croatia

I think these crashes are the usual ones in April & May after 6 months winter hibernation usually with tiny challenging weather or low flying currency in blue days, this trend happens every year and there is nothing new there, the other batch comes for Alps crossings in August

I don’t think there is something specific or challenging about Croatia? maybe as we have more traffic going there now with Schengen?

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 May 13:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Of course, there is nothing special about Croatia.

Today, another crash in France. Takeoff from Langogne Lesperon (LFHL), one of the highest elevation public airfields in France, and grass. 5 persons on board (albeit 3 children)…

It’s very normal for end of May.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

9A_LDSH wrote:

I can only conclude that some PPL gang here, are not ready to read with understanding.
Well, it is your flying and life, Darwin described the case, while ago :)

The rest are getting the point. For sure some kind of 9A VFR guide can be made.
Majority of you for sure know about this official source*, but no harm to repeat =>
https://www.crocontrol.hr/UserDocsImages/AIS%20produkti/VFR_prirucnik/index.html

Some of you who is ready to read, can also find this article useful…
https://www.easa.europa.eu/community/topics/windshear

Nothing to do with whether we are ready to read, just about the fact that some of us can actually THINK. You seem to believe that something must be done without even knowing what COULD have been done to prevent the accident – that is the sign of a typical bureaucrat:

Something must be done. This is something. We will do this, irrespective of whether it would have had any impact on the accident.

Once you realise that only by focusing on the cause of accidents and looking to remove them will any progress be made and to do that, you first need to understand what was the cause. Knee jerk reactions like yours are more counterproductive than anything else.

PS: Are you trying to tell us windshear only happens in Croatia?

EDL*, Germany

Ibra wrote:

I think these crashes are the usual ones in April & May after 6 months winter hibernation usually with tiny challenging weather or low flying currency in blue days, this trend happens every year and there is nothing new there, the other batch comes for Alps crossings in August

I don’t there is something specific or challenging about Croatia? maybe as we have more traffic going there now with Schengen?

There isn’t anything specifically challenging, if, as a pilot, you’re willing to prepare yourself. All I am seeing is someone posturing, lecturing us without a) knowing us b) knowing our experience and c) knowing our personal minimums.

And I thought virtue signalling was restricted to social media…. a sad day when such people infiltrate EuroGA.

EDL*, Germany

I would not mind getting more information or safety leaflets, even happy to fly with sunny swift if she fancy a student…but come one who calls for more restrictions? we have enough of this problem with load of restrictions on airports (LFHL is not the worst out there but it could go the rats with strike of a pen)

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 May 14:06
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message