Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR20 PH-YMC crashed in Croatia

Sebastian_H wrote:

Probably biased, but I fail to see why it was – especially with a nicely-equipped Cirrus – for them seemingly so difficult to get away from probably bad weather by climbing … when I f*cked up some time ago by questionable decisionmaking and ended in IMC with doubtful knowledge about the cloud base, ground situation, etc., it was a no-brainer to trust my AI and ASI, climb away from hard things that might hurt, and advise ATC about my emergency. Did cost me club privileges, of course, but better getting a bollocking on the ground than a headstone …

I met someone with well-equipped Cirrus who can’t load RNP+AP, why? “he does not have time to do IR TK exams at 60 years old”

I recall your post, I still think that is how any PPL should learn and practice how to handle it: you fly IMC above MSA or VMC on top later on you request ILS, LPV or SRA (or even cloud-break on VMC/GPS/IPad in safe area), if one has AP or GPS, they use it to enhance safety,

• There is no excuse for PPL not to go and find an IRI who teach him how to fly ILS/LPV
  • Bollocking, legalitiy…we have forums and clubhouses for that

I am in minority, another minority prefer turn back and descending, the majority prefer to fly in the ground

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 May 12:39
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Probably biased, but I fail to see why it was – especially with a nicely-equipped Cirrus – for them seemingly so difficult to get away from probably bad weather by climbing…

SR20, 3 POB, full of fuel…

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

SR20, 3 POB, full of fuel…

You’re right in pointing that out to me; I had a quick look at a POH copy I could find (http://www.aeroccidente.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/POH-Cirrus-SR20.pdf), and the enroute climb tables on pages 5-19 and 5-20 give at full weight and ISA at 4000ft at least 350 ft per nm resp. 600 fpm – OK, that’s not great, I kinda had hoped for better performance as I was unconsciously biased by having my lightweight little steed in mind.

EHRD / Rotterdam

An SR20 can be described as “underpowered” but that is not a reason to crash into terrain.

Almost certainly they were flying in IMC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

An SR20 can be described as “underpowered” but that is not a reason to crash into terrain.

The only thing you have to do is to start climb on time.

Almost certainly they were flying in IMC.

Eye witnesses saw the aircraft just before the accident in VMC but very low (claiming less than 200 ft but it’s not easy to estimate altitude), close to rising terrain which was obscured by low clouds, according to same eye witnesses “fog and rain”. So I would conclude that after last seen in VMC they entered IMC and collided with terrain.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Don’t really need any special training for that then.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom
86 Posts
Sign in to add your message