Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crossing the Lyon Class C Airspace, flying to southern France

…just remembered: for variety, you may cross the Lyon area via Lyon Bron, use their VRP inbound, abeam the field, and outbound on their VRP. Easy and it’s fun.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

All great advise if he has a transponder…

EDLE, Netherlands

From my visit on TMG/Cub with no sqwak, north west of France are used to make exceptions to non-transponder aircrafts in controlled airspace (blame that on UK vintage vistors), down south it is mainly a no-go unless you fly low, ocas and land in ULM places…

I am planing a “vintage tour de france” in single seater with no electrics inside, so I will be able to compile that full liste of airspaces/airports ;)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I use Bron regularly on the way south. ATC will help you through. No problem.

EGCJ, United Kingdom

Please don’t get your prohibited areas and your restricted areas confused. ‘P’ = prohibited and you cannot get a clearance to pass through (as a general rule of thumb. ) “R” = restricted and are usually NOTAMmed as being active or not. The SIV (FIS) will tell you whether or not they are active. If they are inactive you can fly through them if they are active you can still often get permission to fly through. Details of the zones are to be found in a complimentaire to VFR flight available from the SIA site, it also gives the radio frequencies to contact for permission to transit.
You might also consider visiting the FFPULM website which I believe has a map of all the ULM/Microlight sites in France. You might find a much better option there with possibly no landing fees and easier to get to the beach. You might like to contact the local club first by e-mail write in English first and add a Google translated version after is if your French is not up to it.
Remember when using Google translate that the verb to fly in french is voler but voler is also the french verb to steal.

TOTAL CREW
PASSENGERS
TD_TYPE

TOTAL PASSENGERS

France

Wow… that’s a HUGE number of replies until now! I never thought I would get so much help from you, thanks a lot to everyone of you!

First of all, since my homebase is located near to Stuttgart, I actually do have a Mode S-Transponder, so this should be no problem at all. Also Level 4 in English and the english radiotelephony proof (BZF I in Germany) are in my possession. So I will comply to all standards needed to fly VFR in CTRs.

Also, my french should be good enough to write a little email (for sure with some mistakes in it ) to the aeroclubs at the UL sites. The problem itself would be the very limited runway length at most of their sites. For example, last year I did a little sightseeing flight with a local pilot at the Serignan UL site. I have to say, that with my plane and my landing speed at 110 km/h the length of the runway with about 300-350 meters wouldn’t make me feel really good…

Since the conclusion of all your replies is, that it should be no problem to get through there (left, right or midfield crossing) if I just use my radio properly, I’m no longer worried to try it. Now there are just the NOTAMs left… but SkyDemon displays all of them, so this should be also no problem at all. But when we’re talking about NOTAM: Does anyone know about the huge “NEURON 2018” thing, that is covering nearly half of France? It is stated, that it is activated by NOTAM. Is it similar to the AZBA? I already flew to Bourg-en-Bresse last year, so I’m a little familiar with the AZBAs.

Thank you all very much for your help

Last Edited by TobiasM at 12 Feb 09:04
EDSO, Germany

It is actually a good idea to email in French, and not just for the obvious reason. It is also that English emails can get dumped by spam filters. A while ago we had a case here where every email to the main .fr domains was bounced. Translating them fixed the problem. Yesterday and today my emails in English did not reach LFOV (a trip I am doing tomorrow) but google translated ones worked.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Finally found your NEURON 2018. It is a oNe Euro campaign which seems to be taking place across France and which for some reason needs the creation of some temporary restricted zones during February and March 2019.
The AZBA’s are totally different. They are very fast low flying jet corridors and are activated by Notam usually the day before.If you download the AZBA from the SIA website they give a map of the corridors across France and colour the areas that are going to be activated at what date and at what time. Its good to remember that the base and ceiling of these corridors are given as heights above surface level and not altitudes.

France

TobiasM wrote:

I have to say, that with my plane and my landing speed at 110 km/h the length of the runway with about 300-350 meters wouldn’t make me feel really good…

That’s an UL? With landing speed, you mean final approach or touchdown speed? Both are high for an UL, but to tuchdown with 59kts is way, way to fast. I normally touchdown with 47/48kts IAS without power if solo. My plane has a wing loading of 60kg/m^2 solo and 74 kg/m^2 at MTOW, Vs0 46-43kts (in reality 2kts more). ULs are certified with 35kts Vs0, thus 40kts touchdown should be feasible. Then, 300m should be really comfortable for an UL, even if it is one of these 330kg empty/small wing high performance UL.
</smartassmode off>

Last Edited by a_kraut at 12 Feb 10:27
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

a_kraut wrote:

With landing speed, you mean final approach or touchdown speed?

Sorry, I meant the final approach speed… it’s written like this in the owner’s manual of the Zodiac. The touchdown speed is much lower, about 70 km/h. Perhaps it’s only because I’m not used to land on these short tracks…

EDSO, Germany
Sign in to add your message