Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

So the words spoken by Trump are a figment of my imagination or perhaps AI?
It’s funny how some will deflect when faced with facts.

France

I’ve told you my opinion, hysteria is not my thing.

Silvaire wrote:

I’ve told you my opinion, hysteria is not my thing.

No, but – Silvaire wrote:

I don’t think anybody has done that, or anything like that.

And Trump clearly did say exactly that, that he would encourage Russia to attack any Nato member.

I think it IS the to create the European Armed Forces and sign the agreement between those and NATO. That way at least the Europe will be protected…

EGTR

Trump is not the US president, and until he is he is not relevant. He will probably not get in anyway – see recent news.

Europe has cynically relied on the US nuclear umbrella (France and UK excepted) and are waking up (Finland and Sweden, notably, with Poland putting serious money where their mouth is) from that, belatedly. I say cynically due to all the anti nuke movements.

If only the dems had used the time to position better candidates than Biden. OK, some extreme wishful thinking; maybe there is some cunning plan to launch a fresh candidate at the right time. There are some pretty smart people out there, right in his cabinet.

Indeed, and Hilary before that who pretty well delivered Trump over on a plate. Blinken should stand and would make an excellent president but I think he’s too clever and enjoys the “#2 job” too much. If there is a “secret weapon” it would probably be him. It needs to be somebody with gravitas.

Trump is a rude and ruthless business man

I agree with the first two only I don’t think he has actually made much money in business.

European Armed Forces

Haha

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

ex president and prospective future president of the USA

He’s a misogynist, a narcissist, heavily suffers of Dunning-Krueger effect, tax evading criminal and who knows what else. I really struggle to understand how somebody can actually vote for him. However, the world has seen worse people with similar level or more power in hands.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Trump got in because

• he successfully pitched a message to America’s poor (poor people are found everywhere, and pitching a message to them is called “populism” )
  • Hilary was widely disliked as representing the Washington elite club
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

He will probably not get in anyway – see recent news.

Are you referring to the recent verdict in the fraud case? How will that affect his chances of becoming president? It has been clear that these things do not matter a bit to his supporters who simply view it as political persecution

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

And Trump clearly did say exactly that, that he would encourage Russia to attack any Nato member. I think it IS the to create the European Armed Forces and sign the agreement between those and NATO. That way at least the Europe will be protected…

I think it would be best if one were to concentrate on the message from the US, which is and will be regardless of who is elected as President: Pay your fair share, not more and no less, or be prepared for the US to have any reaction its legislature approves. Whining like a baby because somebody might take away your free stuff is not attractive, or productive. Actions matter, not words except when they (as in this case) might provoke action by the complacent.

BTW, the US President you need to worry about at the moment is the one who is in office. Focus on that for a moment if you can steel yourself to do so Trump Derangement Syndrome is a distraction.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Feb 22:07

Emir wrote:

I really struggle to understand how somebody can actually vote for him

For a similar reason that many Russian actually like Putin I guess. A strong person putting their country first (no matter if any of that is objectively true) will always draw lots of people as history has shown. Especially so if those people have lost their standard of living in recent years. This is true for both Russia and the US.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think it’s mostly driven by President Biden being a thug, personally unethical and cynically corrupt, the kind of career politician who makes you want to take a shower, plus his declining cognitive state that is making it touch and go whether he’ll be able to hold down the job for his current term. Even many of my Democrat friends have that view. For other people it’s the practical reality that almost everything the current US Federal administration has done has been a disaster, and people in the US are generally migrating to states that are both economically healthy and reject the current Federal agenda. For most, the Trump era looks good in retrospect while the current administration is an echo of Carter’s term in the 70s, a mess, although Carter was just similarly misdirected and ineffective, not unethical. It’s a good thing regardless that the US is set up to limit the power of the executive branch, and that the economy is now starting to recover in spite of everything. It’s an amazing economic engine.

I’d guess 90% of the people you’d find at any US general aviation airport will be voting for Donald Trump if they vote, so on your next visit you can ask them. I recognize that many of his policies were correct, I’m appreciative of a couple of them in particular and recognize that when you’re trying to break up political nonsense, chaos may ensue on occasion. In that instance it can be a good thing. But I’m not a fan of his east coast personality. My spunky German wife has a somewhat different and more positive view, and that’s fine.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Feb 04:56
Sign in to add your message