Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Easy pop-up IFR on departure

I have EuroGA router’s briefing PDFs on iPad and iPhone which is more that sufficient for showing waypoints.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

But in some situations a paper chart is fine. Looks like this is becoming a taboo.

No but I have never met anybody giving me the “IFR enroute paper charts are useful” argument and then confirms that he updates them every 28 days. If you don’t, the whole argument is moot.

If you don’t, the whole argument is moot.

If you really use them mainly for the MSA values, they don’t need to be updated so often. Also the airfields and navaids change rarely.

EDDS - Stuttgart

No but I have never met anybody giving me the “IFR enroute paper charts are useful” argument and then confirms that he updates them every 28 days. If you don’t, the whole argument is moot.

The enroute charts are not updated every 28 days, but whenever i get a new one i put it in the folder, sure. I think i get a new set every 6 months or so ( no idea what the cycle is)

@Flyer59 MSA can be displayed on your GNS 430 continuously in one of the user-selectable data fields, just like GS, DTK etc.
Can be a life saver in emergency situations!

Now that is great information, thank you. After all these years flying with 430s I finally learn something new about it … somehow I never saw that.

The enroute charts are not updated every 28 days, but whenever i get a new one i put it in the folder, sure. I think i get a new set every 6 months or so ( no idea what the cycle is)

I actually had this discussion with a salesperson at a pilot supplies’ shop the other day regarding the update schedule for the Jeppesen en-route charts. According to him there is no such thing as an update schedule, and they are published at very irregular intervals when ever required. If memory serves me right a Jepp low-altitude en-route 3/4 was published in April 2014, then July 2014 and the last one in February 2015. The 5/6 chart I believe was published in April 2014 and then again in February this year. But that is from memory.

I can find a new waypoint much quicker on paper, sometimes

If you have loaded you whole route, AND loaded the airways, you should have all the en-route fixes in your GPS flightplan provided it is capable of displaying a sufficient number of waypoints. Shouldn’t you? In that case, since I believe that any clearance you are likely to get would be on your filed route, it should already be in you GPS flightplan.

They show MEA, MORA and Grid-MORA all of which are minimum safe altitudes (MSAs)!
JeppView on the iPad shows them too, so there is zero need to carry a paper chart when EFB equipped.

One thing that has surprised me somewhat is that the MSA displayed on the GPS is often very much higher than the MORA on the chart.

I use JeppFD and mostly fly an airplane with G1000, so between the G1000 and the EFB I should be covered in terms of redundancy. Therefore I am not too concerned if the paper en-route chart is not current. I still carry it with me and keep it within reach. JeppFD takes for ever to initialise, so it is often quicker to get the paper chart which also lighter, will not slide off my lap and fall on the floor. I also save the battery of my iPad in case I really need it.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 24 Apr 12:09
LFPT, LFPN

If you have loaded you whole route, AND loaded the airways, you should have all the en-route fixes in your GPS flightplan provided it is capable of displaying a sufficient number of waypoints. Shouldn’t you?

With the 430 I always load all enroute waypoints, and of course I have all of those. But ATC can always send you to a waypoint off your route. I only had that twice. I let them spell the waypoint if i am not sure and i check if the bearing, distance etc. make sense after entering it.

How can we explain the often higher value of the MSA given by the GNS or the G1000, compared to the MORA or grid MORA ?

What is the source of the MSA showed by our GPS ? How do they relate to the enroute charts data (which show MEA, MORA, MOCA as we said above ?)

Is there any link with the MSA found on jepp approach charts ?

With the 430 I always load all enroute waypoints, and of course I have all of those. But ATC can always send you to a waypoint off your route. I only had that twice.

That happened to me on each of the four legs in German airspace enroute to/from Friedrichshafen.

Most times, I didn’t get any further instructions once I reached the waypoint, so I asked for a further direct to a suitable point on flight planned route.

What would ATC expect of me here? Or did they just forget? What if I get comfailure? If I am close to my flight planned route, I would just proceed direct to the next convenient point on the route, but what if I’m 20 miles or more on the side?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message