Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eclipse 500 - jet on the cheap?

Sebastian_G wrote:

Did anybody come up with a 1999kg STC yet?

As aerotow or cable launched?

I think the problem with the Eclipse are the avionics. The airframe can not be separated from this strange and in many versions half finished Avio glasscockpit as it controls so many parts of the airframe. I think they could sell more planes with a cheap G600/GTN750 combination plus old school switches etc.

The integration is normal but I agree there are older versions that are somewhat stuffed. The new versions have all the features you would want on a light jet. VNAV, Antilock brakes. I think even Autothrottles are available on the 550. With FADEC I am not sure they are needed but nonetheless.

The software is in somewhat of a technological dead end though. CPDLC, ADS-B no idea if it will be available.

EGTK Oxford

Out of interest: how does the Eclipse manage to sqeeze so much speed out of so little thrust? Just because of its size? Sure enough, the Mustang speed stinks in direct comparison.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

how does the Eclipse manage to sqeeze so much speed out of so little thrust?

Size. Mustang is nearly 50% heavier and much larger. That is a trade-off but one I chose to accept for much greater cabin comfort, storage, baggage lockers etc…

EGTK Oxford

Mustang and Eclipse are chalk and cheese in terms of size.

Those who have flown both tell me the difference is also apparent in flying characteristics.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

How are they different? They both got certified so neither can be “dodgy”. A small plane will be less stable than a big one, I would guess. But the MPG is mostly based on the cockpit volume (other things being equal of course).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Different as in the Eclipse is smaller, and flies like a smaller and lighter aircraft.
The Mustang just works as a fully developed product, properly supported.

I have flown the Mustang once, it’s nice, although a bigger CJ is also a further step up in stability and size.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

To me the Eclipse feels like a toy compared to the C-510 which has a “big airplane” feel. I haven’t flown in either, but the ylet me sit in the cockpit at Aero (;-))

I am moving Cirrus jet posts to a more specific thread here

(took me ages to do this)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Old thread but here is a very nice Eclipse LX for sale in Europe at a competitive price.

This one is one with all the bells and whistles safe autothrotte. That means, FIKI, 41’000 ft ceiling, IFMS and so on. So basically the last edition which ever came out.

https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=49630 local copy

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I always liked the Eclipse 500 very much and have to look at every one I see on the apron but all odds are against it. This one lacks the anti skid brakes and the glass windshield and we are talking way over 100k to get that sorted. Then the type rating is a major pain to obtain (at least 35k per person) and much more complicated than an Citation rating. Even as a 747 captain you will need many hours dual mentoring on top, aerobatic training etc. so in real life many additional instructor flight hours. With covid restrictions I fear for a Europeans it is even close to impossible to get it done. And the list goes on for the maintenance. Horrible cost, horrible supplier situation, battery inspections which required special adhesive made on in heavens and shipped as complicated as covid vacine every half year or so to reseal the thing and the final coffin seems to be on jets all FAA maintenance is by the book, no on condition etc. so you are at the total mercy of the manufacturer. So in the end I would not take one if it was free :-(

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message