Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELT antenna type: whip or rod (AV200 or AV300)

I got the AV200

An interesting old thread above… amazing to see how much the wire antenna bends in flight. No wonder it eventually breaks.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wonder if there is a better antenna – the thin wire on this style is bound to break off eventually.

I found a replacement antenna:

Kannad AV200 White WHIP Antenna Low Speed 250 KN

and it is only about £100.

Administrator

This is for a standard Kannad 121.5/406MHz 406 AF-COMPACT ELT.

Could be repaired but the price seems to be under £100 – if you can find stock.

Looks like there was a redesign at some point, which is pretty obvious since the thing flexes in flight like crazy.

Administrator

No problem, your welcome.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

@Jesse
Finally had the possibility to cancel the integra and go with the compact.
I much thank you for your alert, as I was clearly going the wrong way, at least with this item.
Many thanks :-)

EDIT: the rod antenna shown on the photo, is referenced in the IPC for newer Cessnas as a tri-band ARTEX PN#110-338. They come with a C406-N ELT and not Kannad one, as Jesse suggested above. The Artex kit comes around $5k. For what extra operation ??

EDIT2: they can also come with another Artex ELT, ME406, and same rod Artex antenna, but don’t know for which reason, one or the other

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 17 Sep 07:30

Jesse wrote:

Cessna doesn’t use Kannad ELT’s, so they are not allowed to use the same antenna. You are not allowed to use any ELT antenna with any ELT, while technially this wouldn’t be an issue.

I understand that Jesse, but on Controller, they are all equipped with similar rod antennas after 2007

Of course, that doesn’t mean they are mandatory… or even better.

I understand what you say about the internal antenna, which the sales man didn’t explain to me… even if he told me that, even working, the technology wouldn’t bring any real advantage in terms of improving SARs (he said it was just a regulation for new aircraft).

To be honest, I must confess that I thought the GPS signal would work, as it does easily in the cabin with mobile devices, despite the high wings…
I don’t feel smart here, for the least.

But, as you say, one could walk away with the ELT (that would need an access to where it seats), or the aircraft, in the hypothesis of a disconnection of the external antenna, could be so torn apart, that the sky appears again to the ELT. These are remote chances to take advantage of the feature I pay for.

In the end, reasoning in terms of “more is better”, this is a 15% increase (300€), which could have bought 100LL.

Some days, despite good advice, we have poor decision-making performances…

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 08 Sep 16:38

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

The fact is, an AV200 will still be a huge improvement over the actual (disuse) one

The old ones aren’t stainless steel but crimpsleeve covered steel, worthless, the new antennas are much better.

The one on Peter’s aircraft clearly has the correct hole size in the skin, as the antenna sits nice flush on the fuselage.

Had the idea to check controller ads: all post 2007 C182 are equipped with a rod antenna.

Cessna doesn’t use Kannad ELT’s, so they are not allowed to use the same antenna. You are not allowed to use any ELT antenna with any ELT, while technially this wouldn’t be an issue.

Also read that the INTEGRA has a back-up antenna, in case the external one doesn’t work.
Not sure my choice is better anyway, but considering the overall cost of installation and programming, that doesn’t change that much the final bill.

To be honest, I think you made the wrong decission, not only for the antenna part, but also for the intergra. The 406 MHz antenna and GPS will only work when they have a clear view of the sky, (generally in wood only, some composite aircraft and some two seater aircraft where the ELT is just behind the seats and have a clear view of the sky. On your Cessna neither the backup 406 MHz wil work, nor the GPS antenna, so basically your paying for features which you couldn’t use.
The only possible advantage could be when you would crash, remove the ELT from the aircraft, and walk away from the aircraft. Generally this isn’t a good idea either.

The standard Kannad 406 AF Compact with AV200 would do a good job on your aircraft, and has better economics.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Just for information, if over people are in the process:
- the AV300 is 150€ (exc. VAT) more than the AV200
- Kannad INTEGRA is 150€ (exc; VAT) on top of the Kannad Compact

Total cost for the installation and configuration of the Kannad Integra + AV300, is 1850€ exc. VAT (we will use the existing wires)

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 08 Sep 12:25

UPDATE:
Had the idea to check controller ads: all post 2007 C182 are equipped with a rod antenna.
So following the herd, I am going with this one.
Also read that the INTEGRA has a back-up antenna, in case the external one doesn’t work.
Not sure my choice is better anyway, but considering the overall cost of installation and programming, that doesn’t change that much the final bill.

In the end, going with the AV200, and Kannad Integra ELT.

23 Posts
Sign in to add your message