Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Equipment requirements for European IR training and test

I should say this was all on the advice of Simon Coombs who did all my FAA and CAA IR training and was outstanding. I didn’t figure this stuff out myself…

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

That is a long way for an IR skill-test, did you do it in one day? or split?

Did you do ILS at Lydd, it’s unserviceable now (they have missed based ROMTI and alternative missed on DME)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@lbra am not sure the ILS at Lydd qualifies, even if available, due to the offset?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

You are probably right for initial IR test one has to go to Southend ILS & Lydd RNP (or other combination in Cambridge), I recall for the IR revalidation doing ILS & RNP at Lydd was not an issue but don’t quote me on it…

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Jan 08:14

RobertL18C wrote:

except they forgot the ILS:) In the UK only the ILS qualifies as 3D precision post Brexit.

Which is actually great for your pass rate as that means the 2D approach has to be an RNP. So you can dodge the NDB approach on the test.

My local ATO simply refuses to do IR training in owner aircraft.

Basically they need to make money which means you fly their aircraft or they don’t fly at all.

They have in the past had problems with owners and their aircraft and it just too hassle.

E.g. I don’t need an ADF for the IR test

Well you do because the examiner wont even get in your aircraft if you haven’t got one. End of.

@Bathman you are correct the NDB/DME approach is rarely conducted as part of an initial IR test these days. However, if an RNP is not available it (the NDB DME) would be dusted off on the test, with the PBN portion signed off in the SIM. In effect a flight test and SIM checkride.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Is it just a UK thing that you need an aircraft equipped with an ADF and to fly an NDB approach for the IFR skills test.
Here that stopped a long time ago. Its an precision approach which normally means ILS and a non precision approach which is normally an RNP approach here.
Most NDBs have been done away with.

France

You will need an ADF to fly GPS approaches in UK as 95% of GPS approaches need the NDB for the missed (it’s not a mistake I mean it), it’s even written in CAA IR test document: you can’t even use radar to fly missed or dead recon your way to IAF !!!

You need to be ADF equipped to fly an ADF approach (you don’t have to use it as you can hook autopilot on GPS), this is like any other country in the world…

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Jan 09:52

gallois wrote:

Is it just a UK thing that you need an aircraft equipped with an ADF and to fly an NDB approach for the IFR skills test.
Here that stopped a long time ago. Its an precision approach which normally means ILS and a non precision approach which is normally an RNP approach here.
Most NDBs have been done away with.

My guess is that inertia and industry pressure, coupled with a post-Brexit ability to diverge from EASA, will result in none of this changing in the UK anytime soon:

• A low-power NDB on the field is cheap to have and maintain, even if just for theoretical use in holding and the missed approach procedure.
  • Lack of EGNOS means no wholesale shift to LPV approaches. The UK future will be ILS for precision and 2D RNP for non-precision, meaning NDBs still feature on the former and thus no change to testing or training requirements.
  • The training industry likes what they have now. It would be hard to justify 50 hours training for the IR if they didn’t have to spend a decent portion of it hammering NDB holds to a high level of accuracy.
EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message