Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

I recommend visiting gym

I do the gym 2x a week (the whole circuit plus 5 mins’ rowing which usually produces 1080m distance), plus 1x pilates, walk up a 700ft hill most days, but I still can’t pull a fully fuelled (as mine usually is) TB20 except on tarmac which is pretty well flat.

On grass, 3 males can only just move it, if the grass is perfect.

On the Calvi sand, 2 of us could not move it and i think 3 would have done just about.

But I think you are stronger and heavier than me

Off to Sitia LGST tomorrow – tracking

Last Edited by Peter at 09 Sep 19:15
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Leave out that Pilates Peter, that turns you into a woman.

The previous owner of my 182RG was a skinny guy half as tall as I am and he always pulled it by hand. I got myself a Schleppmaxxe tow device and still feel guilty about it. However, no problem to move it when needed but one gets rather sweaty in a hot climate.

I flew from Calvi back to Cannes and requested the same parking place as we had had for the preceding 6days (Lima)….but the ground controller told that was"impossible" and would only allow me to park on the grass alongside Y taxiway…despite the Lima ramp being basically empty….I could see my previous parking place….I told him I would have to shutdown on Y and he would have to send someone to help pull it into place….and that is what happened….while a couple of aircraft were blocked from taxying out….it took a couple of us to pull the aircraft across the very rough ground between cones and hidden concrete tie down rings….in front of the now parked aircraft there are ruts and rocks about 1" Dia….I was not pleased with this piece of Gallic arrogance….

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 09 Sep 21:23
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Very true. I also got sent to that
parking area in December and it is simply not worthy of airport like Cannes. Those hidden tie down points are just nasty. It also shows how much they value SEPs there…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Sep 06:14
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

This ‘rough’ parking issue is something I’ve never taken very seriously, though never had an incident.
Now I own a share and when we get our re-built engine back, I’m going to have to ‘get fussy’ !!

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 10 Sep 08:24
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Some types are easily able to go “cross-country”…..but a Mooney is not one of them

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I got two new dings in the prop, discovered after landing at Corfu, so I got them either after the start of taxi at Calvi or on landing at Corfu, and it’s fairly obvious which is more likely.

These can be filed out but if you keep getting them…

Calvi needs to clean up its act. It’s not a five quid “UK one quid all day breakfast” place.

Anyway, a most pleasant flight today Corfu LGKR to Sitia LGST…

A nice parking spot at Corfu

and got away really quick – even quicker after a huge military twin turboprop aborted the departure and taxied back to parking.

Enroute…

Forgot to look up this airport

Lots of haze. I am going to have to get to grips with Lightroom and raw files

With 52 USG computed LFOB on LGKR-LGST, the TB20 can fly from one end of Greece to the other without a refuel and with good reserves

Plenty of buildups but FL110 was just right all the way, with a couple of “to avoid” heading changes. Of course I would never do that just to get a better photo of some place

Santorini in the haze… this one will need more enhancement than the whole of Big Brother

Final at Sitia LGST – an awesome pic like it always is. This one is a bit short so I had to use all my skills

Pretty efficient handling etc – €35 if you remember to bring your AOPA card (US AOPA will do). Avgas in drums so I definitely added the IPA

The bowser meter under-read by about 3% which is completely unusual for Greece!

A day and a half here is gonna be tough

Tracking:

That one shortcut is very rare for Greece, IME. Total airborne time about 2:45 hrs.

One of these turned up

with an “interesting” reg

Last Edited by Peter at 10 Sep 14:00
Administrator

That must be very annoying for you Peter – it would be for me. Future fly-in require ‘good’ GA parking and, of much much less importance, hotels with good last minute cancellation policies due the ‘nature’ of our game – particularly for VFR folk.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 10 Sep 13:28
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Forgot to look up this airport

It is Preveza Aktion LGPZ gateway to Ionian sea island of Lefkada

With 52 USG computed LFOB on LGKR-LGST, the TB20 can fly from one end of Greece to the other without a refuel and with good reserves

Yeap, can be done.
Athens to farthest eastern island of Kastelorizo LGKJ 330nm and back (total 660nm + 20’ low flying around the island) had 50’ fuel remaining in tanks on return landing.
Pic’s from that wonderful sun’s total eclipse day http://hellasga.com/gallery/kyp/lgkj

LGMG Megara, Greece

LGST-LGSM tomorrow 0600Z – tracking

Obviously I am hoping those doglegs won’t be flown… it is a Eurocontrol artefact.

Final route flown

Last Edited by Peter at 12 Sep 14:00
Administrator
Sign in to add your message