Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

Hi all,
Just wanted to say despite some drawbacks regarding parking, fuel etc you picked another excellent spot for a weekend get away. We both enjoyed the trip and are looking forward to the next flyin. Will try be a bit more sociable next, unfortunately we did not find the restaurant on saturday but ended up at the capuccino again which was as good as on friday.

Take air all!
Rosmarie/Patrik

ESG..., Sweden

Yes the choice of restaurant in Saturday was a bit unfortunate…we didn’t find it either, but in any case it was quite a bit out of town I believe….sorry I didn’t meet you Friday either Patrik….although we were the first to arrive (in Calvi and in the restaurant)!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Loved this trip! Great destination! Wouldn’t have missed swimming off the rocks in Calvi for anything, nor the flying, of course!

Hey, Peter even let me take off in his TeeBee…gonna coax him into landing next time….if he’ll have me along

Great to meet you all and huge thanks to Peter for making this kind of flying a possibility for me (I’m a circuit rat, normally)

Last Edited by Jojo at 12 Sep 17:59
Bordeaux

You can land it next time, Jojo

I didn’t think it is possible to fly a tight LH circuit from the RHS – one simply cannot see where one is going.

We are on Samos now and off to Kalymnos shortly, via a torturous opening times timetable) then Leros, Ikaria, Lesbos, (then just me) Zagreb and Shoreham.

It was a great fly-in.

A pity that some people did not find the main group, and I think a better way to organise that aspect is needed for future fly-ins. Maybe a facebook group? Practically all pilots will be online today but I don’t know how many “grown ups” actually use facebook in a full-time way like kids do? I (or somebody) will start a fresh thread on this sometime…

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Sep 05:21
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Continuing the hard life in Greece theme, here is Kalymnos LGKY

At 2000ft

The airport opens for a couple hours only, for this

Next year’s fly-in?

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Sep 15:17
Administrator

A pity that some people did not find the main group, and I think a better way to organise that aspect is needed for future fly-ins.

The Whatsapp group chat feature works really well for this. Most people have it on their phone nowadays.

I have continued the Greek part of the post-Corsica stuff here

Administrator

Here is the final writeup on the Corsica-Greece trip 5-22 September, complete with some input from Justine.

It’s a very long writeup and it has been suggested that splitting it up should be considered. However, I am not likely to do another one anywhere near as big again

Administrator

However, I am not going to park on that “GA parking area” ever again… I don’t know the process for avoiding it but it probably involves either having a twin engined aircraft, or paying a handling fee.

In 2012 I visited Calvi the first time. The tower advised me to park on hard surface without request. No handling was required. There are tie downs in the surface which is very convenient. Also three or four GA aircraft were parked beside our C182. Obviously this was pure luck. After seeing the video of the Cirrus I will never come back to Calvi airport. And yes, Corsica is very scenic, more in the south for my taste.

Berlin, Germany

Thanks for the detailed trip writeup, Peter! It gives a great insight in planning and executing a long distance IFR trip in Europe…

We went to Calvi a week ago, and there were virtually no visitors so we could park on the hard surface.
But even on the hard surface I spotted a lot of stones. It’s a pity that they put so much money into renovating the terminal building; while not putting a single cent into the GA apron.

We were extremely blessed with the weather; The remainders of the Gonzalo hurricane had just passed Europe, and we had crystal clear weather over the Alps.

North of the Swiss Alps, Lake Constance:

Quite a lot of snow in the Swiss Alps:

Sign in to add your message