Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Extending my squitter

The thing is that if you equip an N-reg in the USA, or actually anywhere outside the EU, you would enable all the emissions.

Then if you fly to Europe, you are hardly going to disconnect the wires / reconfig the avionics as you fly across the first national frontier into the EU.

So a lot of N-regs in Europe are radiating the whole lot. In light GA terms that usually means a GTX330 having all the stuff connected to it and radiating what Europe calls Enhanced Mode S which is banned on non-qualifying aircraft (below 250kt TAS, below 5700kg, etc). Nobody gives a damn…

The only people who care are avionics installers who interpret the regs strictly. Not all do…

Even in the USA, ADS-B is quite new to light GA so even with the planes recently imported into Europe, my wild guess on the ADS-B equipped % (ADS-B IN or OUT) is way below 1% and it will be many years before this improves.

And a tiny % of that 1% is going to have ADS-B IN merged onto their TAS/TCAS data. In fact Avidyne – the TAS market leader – are not yet offering it on their TAS boxes, and possibly never will, though I believe there is a Garmin box which can be used to merge the ex-TAS traffic stream with an ex-Garmin-ADS-B-IN traffic stream and present the combined stream to your MFD or whatever, so you can get the ADS-B-OUT-emitting traffic on your MFD without waiting for Avidyne to find more $$$. There were threads on this here – I believe NCYankee had all the details.

So radiating ADS-B in Europe is currently a very small priority. Mode C is the best thing of all, plus it is visible to airliner TCAS systems so if you really screwed up…

Currently, a high % of light GA flies without transponders of any kind; this is instantly and blindingly obvious to anybody flying around with an active TAS system.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alan B

Air avionics will sell you the paperwork for a minor change to fit this equipment, it is valid for most light aircraft but I should check yours is on the list before you part with any money.

Great, thanks for the info.

EGHS

and yes it is on the list

EGHS
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message