Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA CPL to EASA PPL theory test questions

“A freshly acquired PPL, instrument or multi engine rating can be immediately converted into an EASA license. Collecting flight hours after receiving a license will no longer apply. So far, global simplifications have always stimulated business as soon as the time is right.”

That would make my day!!! I just need to finish up my FAA IR (which I haven’t done because it’s useless for an a EASA Reg plane).

Tököl LHTL

hypoxiacub wrote:

If I take the test through an EASA-certified means, can I use that passing result in any flight school to do the flight test examination, legally?

Generally speaking, flight training can be done separately from theory instruction. You can do it in a different school in a different country. Don’t know how it works with conversion (the regulation makes no mention of an ATO or course IIRC so one should not be needed). I would expect one could contact an examiner directly or make arrangements with the NAA. A school might have its own examiner but that doesn’t necessarily mean you have to go through them. As I wrote, ask the NAA. Or at least look at their website.

Ok, thank you everyone!

Reading through the thread, I would definitely like to self-study and take the tests, in English. That works best for me.

Remember that I already have a CPL and have flown around Europe, so other than brushing up on aviation theories, the only thing I stand to learn is EASA-specific stuff.

If I take the test through an EASA-certified means, can I use that passing result in any flight school to do the flight test examination, legally? I understand that the flight school might be pissy about the lost revenue (too bad), though from what I understand about dealing with Spain, they tend to roll with what’s done as its part of the grand bargaining (robbery) custom here.

Also, any recommendations for a self-study program?

Thanks again!!

Peter wrote:

What I was getting at is doing the whole process… preflight, wx, route planning, etc. I have done this with a couple of people here; both went on to get PPLs, and one of them did really well (RHS in a Lear now).

It’s also called “mentoring”.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about passing exams. I agree that these things help (both in practical terms and making people enthusiastic)

Do you really learn a lot with a pilot?

What I was getting at is doing the whole process… preflight, wx, route planning, etc. I have done this with a couple of people here; both went on to get PPLs, and one of them did really well (RHS in a Lear now).

It’s also called “mentoring”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Some PPL schools do an informal ground school and you might pay say £10 for the evening. But this isn’t necessary for a candidate who already knows about flying; nearly all of the material is irrelevant if you can fly around with a pilot.

There is mandatory classroom time for the IR (about 1 week of classroom time) and for the CPL (something similar – previous threads e.g. here and here)

Do you really learn a lot with a pilot? I feel in flight one is not going to learn a ton from looking at VORs, ADF that will unlikely being used etc. Also since a lot of the theory is not directly relevant, it’s unlikely to be talked about in flight.
I don’t recall learning much in flight, and even when I fly with smart/curious people and spend almost all free time I have talking to them, I think they just get a large overview but if I had them take the exam an hour later they might not be able to know enough to answer even basic questions’s details.
For instance, things like calculating minimum transition level etc one is never going to learn in flight (and is more likely to learn it from a PPL student who did the theory recently rather than an experienced pilot).

I feel like flying helps connect the dots, but flying trips VS the regular flying you do with an instructor is not going to teach you much when it regards passing exams (it might for later flying).

Regaring the IR, if you go the CB IR route, you can do 8h classroom. In my case I managed to do it over a weekend which mitigated the wasted time (There is no way one can even go in any sort of meaningful detail for the IR syllabus in 8h)

PapaPapa wrote:

bénévole

Volunteer

172driver wrote:

That’s interesting – and not good

I share that view. But as always YMMV.
In France and Luxembourg, PPL training is mainly done by airclubs in which instructors are either :
- paid by the club a monthly salary (and then you pay something extra on the flight hour to finance that)
- doing it as “bénévole” (sorry the word does not come to me in English) (and then you pay something extra on the flight hour to finance some of the expense they incur to come fly with you, but no salary) as they ususally have another means of income (pension, job…)

In Luxembourg the ATO/FTO part as a slightly different way of charging since a few years and I don’t know to which training it applies (IR for sure) where you log it with a ‘B’ meaning “briefing” and where you get charged a 1/2 of instructor time extra for the briefing/debriefing part.

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Well, yes, there is this

We live in interesting times, as they say…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

I think if I were in hypoxiacub’s position I’d keep flying with an FAA certificate plus US passport and put the burden of proof on whoever in Europe might someday care. Every minute you screw around trying to satisfy bureaucrats is another minute lost from your life.

OMG! An anarchist! Call Homeland Security!

LFPT, LFPN
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message