Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA Instrument Rating in Europe

I have access to N and F reg IFR planes for rent so I am a bit like the OP. If you can fly an N reg at home, the 50h PIC are not painfull. Any way, I would like to be able to fly IFR in Europe & US, on both kind of regs.
Passing a TK test in the US to validate an EASA rating seems odd from what I know of the FAA (at least very different from the PPL validation process). But you guys know better than me.

To train in the US you have to give your fingerprints ? You need it anyway when you enter US soil so it’s not worse.
From what I see, going to a French ATO (and staying in a hotel) is not more expensive than going to a US school (flights and hotel included).
To me, the question must be answered in terms of quality of training for single pilot private ops and amount of work needed for the IR TK. As of now, the US way looks better (even if I love France and know some good ATOs believe me)
But if you don’t care about flying in the US and have time to work the TK, go for EASA.
Maybe Stephan Schwab has some personal opinions on the matter.

LFOU, France

Timothy wrote:

You can present those sums the other way round.

He has to do 40 hours, of which 10 in an ATO, to get the CB-IR, then do a simple Foreign Pilots Instrument exam and he has an FAA IR whereas he has to do the 40 hours for the FAA IR plus the 50 hours IFR and then do an aural exam and an EASA skills test = 92 hours.

IMO this is waaay better than starting an FAA IR from scratch, then converting!

Very funny and slightly disingenuous Timothy: the 50hrs post-FAA IR do not constitute training….they accumulate in the course of privately flying P1 under the IFR…which of course as the owner of an N-reg C182 he will easily do..

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

jacopuzzo, I did mine a year ago, just as boscomantico says.

At the moment the only visit you have to do (either way) is for the theoretical exam.

No, there are two FAA examiners in Europe which can all this right at your home. Maybe you didn’t know this, but that’s a different story. It costs quite a bit of money, but even that’s another story. Travelling over to the US isn’t cheap either (if it’s just for that purpose).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Sep 16:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@Boscomantico

BTW , even for the plain PPL I had to go to FAA office in the US (New York) with a valid verification letter.
To get an appointment in New York you need to go trough a security check (questionnaire, passport copy..) that took 10 days to be completed

Hi,
Here my exchange of email with the FAA New York FSDO

Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 5:40 AM
To: xxxxxxx (FAA) <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: EASA license transfer

Hello xxx,
I have received the permanent certificate last July.
Now I’m considering adding the Instrument Rating to my EASA license.
Once I get the EASA IR rating, what should I do to legally fly my N registered plane under IFR?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Regards
Roberto

Da: <[email protected]>
Data: 7 settembre 2017 16:10:07 CEST
A:
Oggetto: RE: EASA license transfer

You’ll need to take the IFP exam (instrument foreign pilot) and visit our office with a valid verification letter.

M. xxxxx
NEW YORK FSDO-15

I guess I need to buy a ticket to New York…..

@Boscomantico

I have no idea of the difference between validation and conversion; as from my first post I’m just looking for the easiest way to legally fly my N plane IFR in Europe.
From EASA I’m looking for the answer I was not able to get so far from ENAV: is it legal to fly in Italy an N aircraft with just an FAA IR until 2019?
Haven’t got a straight answer anywhere so far…another reason to go EASA first.

According to RNAV Europe, this is a UK issue, not an FAA one. All I know on this is they refuse to do training in the UK as a result

That is however irrelevant to the question. You can get the training elsewhere. It is the checkride which gets tricky.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, you are probably right there. The plain PPL validation can be obtained without going to the US.

Anyway, it still would only be a validation, and the FAA license and IR rating would be dependant on the underlying EASA license.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Sep 14:00
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

And to get a validation, you do not need to go to the US.

Doesn’t adding the IR to the US certificate based on a foreign IR require a TK exam which can only be taken in the US?

LFPT, LFPN

jacopuzzo wrote:

following your advices, I have done further digging here in Italy and here what I have got.

That was a very good summary you wrote there… especially since I agree with all of it.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 07 Sep 13:55
LFPT, LFPN
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message