Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Failed EGT Probe ?

Interesting. Was it on your way back from La Rochelle today?

It was great meeting you here!

Yes it was

Great meeting you and your friends too

Last Edited by Peter at 15 Jul 18:09
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We changed the #4 EGT probe today.

Surprisingly, the probe tip wasn’t actually eaten by the gases. The failure appears to be where these JPI probes quite often fail: at a point which lies just a few mm outside the exhaust pipe. There is some kind of a junction there, and I was able to just twist it off with my fingers.

I suspect JPI have a QA/manufacturing issue there. Recently (I posted the details here) I had a new probe which was open-circuit. I sent it back to JPI but didn’t get an RMA # and didn’t send it “trackable” so they simply denied any knowledge of it. $150 down the drain…

Administrator

I’ve had exactly that happen to me twice in six years. Twice mid-channel funny enough…. Not much fun the first time, despite the engine purring along happily…!
First time probe was changed with a new one, second time I swapped the suspect probe with another one, and both it and the swapped one worked fine (ie cylinder ok) for several months, so swapped it back. Sometimes it is just a case of poor grounding due to vibration etc, so refitting the probe cures it. I keep a spare just in case.

ORTAC

You probably didn’t spot the comments I put on the Vimeo site, but the clue to it being just the probe is that you see “impossible” EGT values e.g. 1700F or higher. The engine can’t go above about 1650F, at say 65% of max rated power fuel flow. Well, not on avgas, anyway

Administrator

I have installed an EDM830 complete with EGT, CHT, Flowscan and Mapsensor recently. I have a Tanis preheating system therefore needed different sensor. As compared to Tanis, JPI was awkwardly slow in responding and shipping despite the 3’561 US$ gross for the kit. But like Peter pointed out, the technology works and in combination with the Gami injectors. it saved me some gallons of fuel already…

I don’t think there is anything actually wrong with the JPI instruments – apart from them being late-1970s technology, but then most of the little individual instruments we fly with are from that era.

The EDM 830 is a modern replacement of the EDM 700, can be installed under the same STC. Much more information than the 700, very happy with it. The probes need replacement every now and then but they are easily available and not too expensive.

However, in most installations, there is no room for the 830 because while the hole in the panel might be 3.125" the front of it is way too big.

I also wonder if they fixed the “interesting algorithm” for determining a bad probe

Administrator

I also wonder if they fixed the “interesting algorithm” for determining a bad probe

No, it’s the same. You get “BAD PRB”. Happens quite frequently because JPI use pretty bad connectors with screws (sensor to harness). They frequently get loose and you get intermittent bad contacts.

Same happened with the MP sensor. The first time it happened, my MP was steadily going down from 25" to 0" while I was flying along. This got me very worried and I was busy looking for suitable emergency landing possibilities until I realized that 150KTAS level flight with MP 0" might not actually be an engine problem

hello, i am just following with great interest this post

i am looking to go better than the std. egt in my 182

so i would be happy to hear any real life recommendations also need it for a g reg plane so any info on the paper side of things

thanks

fly2000
Sign in to add your message