Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Failed EGT Probe ?

You could have dirt in your fuel nozzle. There could be a magneto/spark plug issue.

For example, if peak is around 1450, how would you interpret a sudden and steady rise up to 1650 on one cylinder ?

Detonation or pre-ignition, I would guess.

Or a faulty channel on the instrument. I think they use a single A-D converter with a multiplexer in front of it, but it’s not impossible.

I have never seen a steady and elevated EGT if the engine is already at peak EGT. There is no way the engine can achieve such a condition in normal operation, via a fuel issue alone (detonation can be caused by insufficient octane rating but not on just one cylinder, obviously).

One of the two spark plugs in a given cylinder being dud would also raise the EGT a bit. Not because the EGT itself has gone up but because you are getting a slower burn and are getting some still-burning mixture reaching the EGT sensor.

a sudden decrease to a low value ?

Fuel starvation (a blocked injector). Never seen that either.

Any engine related cause of any of the above would also show up as a CHT change.

There may be valve related explanations but I will leave it to somebody else to suggest those.

I don’t see how any ignition issue could raise the EGT in just one cylinder.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you for your propositions.

An intake sticky valve should give low EGT ?

A sticky valve in flight is an experience you will never forget…

@Achimha
Would you tell us a little more about that experience ?
What were the symptoms in flight ?
Did you have some alarm, apart from the eventual “morning sickness ?”
When did you diagnose the sticky valve ? During the flight or after an emergency landing ?
Could it happen again or did you do some modifications ?
Why do you still fly SEP ? :-)

Please, tell us more !

I think I have found the source… :-)
Former Post

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Would you confirm a failed probe ?

I agree it does look a lot like a failed probe or bad connection. CHT’s appear totally normal. Seen it ‘often’ on my EDM, only to give engineering a ring.

Last Edited by Archie at 09 Nov 06:00

Hello,

The EGT seemed to work normally today.
No obvious connection problem.
Part number is 86317.
$400 at Cessna Parts
€500 at my local shop
Some offers on eBay I am willing to consider.

A google/images for

86317 egt probe

digs out this

which isn’t going to be really cheap because it doesn’t look like a standard JPI product, as seen with a google/images on

jpi egt probe

which doesn’t show anything like that.

Also check out Macfarlane who do similar stuff (which may be for homebuilts though!).

I suspect you are paying a hefty price for somebody sitting in a shed and fitting that yellow thermocouple connector to off the shelf probes. But that connector is a completely negligent choice for something which clearly need environmental protection.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Have you checked Aircraftspruce?
I have removed all the fancy connectors and buy the basic version for about € 100. Then I put simple eylet conectors with screws on and try to protect them as good as possible with a shrinking tube and heat islolation around that. Works fine.

Sign in to add your message