Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAR 61.75 piggyback license

FAR 61.75(b)(4) states that you must hold “a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a medical license issued by the country that issued the person’s foreign pilot license”;

Antonino wrote:

The FAA PPL is subject to the currency of the EASA PPL, (FAA PPL is not stand alone).

All US pilot certificates, including your restricted (foreign-based) certificate, are subject to FAR Part 61. This means, inter alia, that the US flight review and recent flight experience requirements, sections 61.56 and 61.57 respectively, apply.

There are additional requirements in Part 61, eg acting as PIC of a complex airplane (retractable gear, flaps, and a VP/CS prop—§ 61.3(b)) under the privileges of a US pilot certificate requires a once-off proficiency endorsement from a US flight instructor. Equivalent EASA differences training is unnecessary.

London, United Kingdom

In FAA regulation there is no connection between the validity of your pilot certificate and your medical certification, you need both independently for some operations but other operations (e.g. Sport Pilot) require only one of the two. So they operate independently and you never lose the validity of your pilot certificate as a result of medical status. For that reason there is no FAA assumption that your medical certification status is reflected in holding a valid foreign (EASA) pilot license.

Having said that, as Peter indicates I have also been led to believe that FAA allows either a foreign medical from an ICAO signatory nation or an FAA medical for use with a 61.75 ‘based-on’ pilot certificate. This supports the original purpose of 61.75, which is to allow foreign visitors to fly, for whom the hassle getting an FAA medical would negate the purpose of a streamlined process and its practicality for a short visit. The FAR is here and the relevant text in relation to issuing the ‘based on ’ certificate is as follows: "Holds a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a medical license issued by the country that issued the person’s foreign pilot license"

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Apr 19:06

Your FAA license is a 61.75 piggyback one. You do not need an FAA medical.

@Antonino post moved to an existing thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Good evening to all. I have a question and i thank you in advance to everyone that can help me to solve my question.
I obtained the EASA PPL and then I converted to the FAA PPL to be able to support FAA IR. The FAA PPL is subject to the currency of the EASA PPL, (FAA PPL is not stand alone). So I do the EASA medical examination every year to be currency with the EASA PPL. Now my question is…. Since I have an N-Reg aircraft and I have an EASA PPL and FAA PPL, do I also have to do the FAA medical examination? Does anyone know what the FAA regulations say? In the FAA PPL license itself it is written that the FFA license is valid only if the EASA license is alive. I thought the FAA medical examination shouldn’t be done. I hope I was clear. thank you

LICC , Italy

Mark_1 wrote:

Yes, but in this case they give the discretion to the ATO:

The amount of
refresher training needed should be determined on a case-by-case basis
by the ATO, taking into account the following factors

But then the ATO is still complying with the AMC, is it not?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Well, no, but if you deviate from the AMC you need the approval of your CAA.

Yes, but in this case they give the discretion to the ATO:

The amount of
refresher training needed should be determined on a case-by-case basis
by the ATO, taking into account the following factors:
KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Aviathor wrote:

It does not state anything about TK contrary to what is the case for the IR.

PPL TK has no “expiry date” AFAIK. Unlike IR/ ATPL. And if you’ve been flying all that time, just on a different licence, renewal of SEP class rating shouldn’t be an issue.

Rwy20 wrote:

like a sailplane rating or a TMG rating

Sailplane no, TMG yes.

Airborne_Again wrote:

I only needed to fly 4 hours and I didn’t have to take any exams. When I renewed the IR in 2014, I needed around 8 hours in the air and all the

OK, according to FCL.740 if the class rating has lapsed you need to undergo refresher training at an ATO and pass a proficiency check with an examiner. It does not state anything about TK contrary to what is the case for the IR.

Mark_1 wrote:

FAR 61.75 merely requires that the underlying licence is valid i.e. not suspended, revoked, expired etc. It does not require the associated ratings to be valid. There is no need for that as they require you meet rating validity of the FAA ratings and medical similarly as was discussed.

I’ve had that confirmed with discussion at my local FSDO that I was not mis-understanding the requirements

So basically the worst thing that can happen is that you for one reason or another need to apply for a new 61.75 like we had to do when the old paper certificate became invalid in order to get the new green plastic ones. In that case, during the foreign certificate validation process your NAA will reply that the foreign certificate number so and so is valid but the SEP expired on such and such date. In that case, will the FAA reissue a new 61.75 certificate and A-SEL?

Last Edited by Aviathor at 12 Apr 19:35
LFPT, LFPN

Mark_1 wrote:

The AMC have a list of guidelines which may be appropriate for a lapsed pilot with low hours, but AMCs are not compulsory.

Well, no, but if you deviate from the AMC you need the approval of your CAA.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
74 Posts
Sign in to add your message