Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying IFR across the Alps

Montpellier, Cannes and Avignon are both cities worth a stay and could help give a call to customs if you divert there. Not a huge risk to get stuck there.
Again, fly safe.

LFOU, France

Although it’s kind of early for precise forecast for Friday, it looks like bad weather in the Alps and then later on over central France. I wouldn’t plan direct route without FL260 capability and very early morning start. It can go even higher or it can stay below FL180 early in the morning – it’s hard to forecast. However, the option is to fly to somewhere southern France (few cities mentioned above plus Carcassonne LFMK and Beziers LFMU) and then to UK behind the front if possible on Friday or Saturday. Alternatively, the flight can be postponed for Saturday which looks better at the moment.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Just cancelled my own planned trip from Mainz to Paris (was planned Thursday to Saturday). Whilst the flying might have been possible (can stay below the freezing level of about FL90 no problem on this routing), it wouldn’t all have been too pleasant.

Crazy these two halves of this summer here in Central Europe. All May, all June and the first bits of July were record-like. Since mid-July, the summer turned really foul. Looks like things might improve by Wednesday/Thursday next week. Possibly.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Aug 14:38
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So I very early on assessed the frontal picture which hasn’t changed much is not a good idea to give it a direct flight (Sadly very annoying but hey, better than not making it at all)

I will fly down to Montpellier at FL150 very early on Friday AM for a quick fuel stop;

Then onto Bologna again at FL150 so it helps with dodging any weather near the Genoa area that is forecast.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Looking at options for the return. It’s either via Montpellier then back to London (3hrs at FL100) then (5hrs30m at FL160).

Or maybe via the Alps to Karlsruhe for a quick fuel and toilet stop. 3hrs to EDSB then 4hrs to London.

Would FL160 over the top of the Alps with those winds be rough?

EGSG, United Kingdom

Just a general comment. Much as I – as everyone here – love flying a GA airplane, sometimes it simply makes more sense to let the big boys fly and buy a ticket on CAT.

To be fair I’ve done much worse for no better reason than sheer bloody mindedness. The only thing I would say is that early afternoon in the mountains = plenty of hitting your head on the roof, but I have no idea how that would play out 5k above. Looking forward to the trip report.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

5k above the terrain it should be fine. Never had a problem.

You get a lot more fun with the bora blowing E → W as you fly down the Adriatic Like here (search for “torn”).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Since mid-July, the summer turned really foul. Looks like things might improve by Wednesday/Thursday next week. Possibly.

It’s a metereological sensation. The coldest heatwave since the beginning of climate recordings ;-)

Germany

I am just trying to be overcautious. I’ve got a backup plan anyway, so will monitor the situation.

But looks like my routings will be;

Friday AM – EGSG-LFMT
Friday PM – LFMT-LIPE

Monday PM – LIPE-EDSB via Alps
Monday PM – EDSB-EGSG

Backup

Monday AM/PM – LIPE-LFMT
Monday PM – LFMT-EGSG

EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message