Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying IFR across the Alps

pilotrobbie wrote:

Monday PM – LIPE-EDSB via Alps
Monday PM – EDSB-EGSG

EDSB is my home base. Drop me a PN if you need anything. If you like I can also have a look at the DWD weather / icing charts for Monday. We operate two DA40Ds out of EDSB, btw :-).

Last Edited by Thomas_R at 02 Aug 20:31
Germany

Thomas_R wrote:

EDSB is my home base. Drop me a PN if you need anything. If you like I can also have a look at the DWD weather / icing charts for Monday. We operate two DA40Ds out of EDSB, btw :-).

Feel free to say hi if I make it that way, will be a quick fuel/customs/toilet at the GAT then back to London.

But would be nice to say hi.

Let me know what weather you’ve got.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I am just trying to be overcautious. I’ve got a backup plan anyway, so will monitor the situation.

That’s not overcautious, that’s reasonable approach. Friday will probably be very hard across the Alps, so along the coast from LFMT looks like the only option. Monday probably the same although a little bit better.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@pilotrobbie: I sent you a PM via the forum.

Germany

Hi All,

Flew down to Montpellier yesterday. Was pretty easy going, some weather build ups near Le Harve them further south where the front was.

Pretty turbulent into Montpellier, however easy going – quick turnaround – had our sandwiches at the aircraft before flying too Bologna.

Solid line of weather from Nice to Austria across the Alps and I heard reports of moderate turbulence with occasional severe so was happy I flew well south of the weather. ATC did query it – but never-ending that, I felt some rather random waves of turbulence that far from it, I made a good decision 😂

The Alps were definitely impassable even for some Airliners.

Bologna was exceptionally busy, vectored and I kept speed up as was number 4 for the ILS and some 5 miles behind a slow ass A320. It was doing 133kts to allow a runway inspection. There was 5 aircraft being vectored behind me too. Pressure was on, and my landing was awful and was too fast – but did well to recover with the runway length available 😂

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 05 Aug 09:59
EGSG, United Kingdom

What’s everyone’s thoughts on crossing the Alps tomorrow? Zurich showing TCU, and windy showing some cloud tops at FL140. Not sure if it would work? Was looking to depart Bologna at 1000z to Karlsruhe.

EGSG, United Kingdom

I would expect higher tops, isolated and embedded TCU, and descent through freezing layer.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Not looking very good until 6 am UTC…

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

Managed the flight back, with very strong headwinds. 3.5hrs to Montpellierr, 5hrs 10 to Stapleford. Winds strong at all levels.

I got hit by the worst turbulence ever over the Apennine Mountains near Genoa, not sure what it was – but it was violent. Can’t see it being thermals? Maybe clear air, but as I went out to sea it stopped and had a few other encounters but not as violent. But I am guessing with 40/50kt winds at FL150/FL160 the Alps wouldn’t have been fun.

EGSG, United Kingdom
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message