Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into EDDM - any tips?

I have to admit I was worried about F59 appearing in my windshield on short final!

You would have seen me on your TAS :-) But I was playing tennis at that time anyway.

EDDM: They do let you use the ILS for cloudbreaking though, I did that twice.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Separate landing and take-off fees? What on earth is the point in that? It should only add to the administration costs.

Well it is all in one invoice. Makes sense if you charge based on passengers etc. what_next might fly in with only crew and leave with 4 pax. That is different from arriving with 4pax and leaving with the same as far as large airports are concerned.

EGTK Oxford

Does the “PPR” mean you won’t get it?

If they operate this sensibly, and given even the biggest airports have slacker times, it means you won’t get in during the busy times, but you can at other times.

It would be useful to know the real current picture for Munich EDDM, though figures in the region of €300 it won’t be of much relevance to most SEPs. Still, much less than the €600 I heard previously.

There is a pilot here who flew to Gatwick EGKK just to get it into his logbook and paid GBP 500, and that was about 3 years ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have tried to get PPR on a Sunday last year and was refused due to sub 2t. On the phone they said it were unlikely to be accepted.

Reason I wanted to go was that on a Sunday afternoon there is no way to get a rental car at Augsburg EDMA. So I ended up paying 180 € round-trip for taxi to Munich.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 28 Jan 19:07
Frequent travels around Europe

That’s a really useful data point.

I have also just heard from another person who is well placed to know that EDDM routinely tells sub-2000kg pilots to bugger off.

So I wonder why they have a price list for them?

Last time I went to Munich I looked at EDMA too and it was such a mess I got an airline from Gatwick.

Administrator

What was a mess about EDMA?

EDMA is fine once you are able to use a rental car. But it is tiresome. I did that a number of times. Flying into EDNX was easier but I had to wait 45 minutes for the taxi before I knew how to order one in advance. When going back drivers from the city don’t seem to know there is an airfield.

Frequent travels around Europe

The next time you fly into EDNX, let me know and you’ll get a private shuttle. Very close from my home and even closer from my office.

EDMA is very good to use. It is just a bit far out.

On EDDM, would be interesting to try for ppr late at night or early. They should allow it if capacity allows. They even have AVGAS.

EGTK Oxford

EDMA is fine once you are able to use a rental car. But it is tiresome. I did that a number of times. Flying into EDNX was easier but I had to wait 45 minutes for the taxi before I knew how to order one in advance. When going back drivers from the city don’t seem to know there is an airfield.

I concluded EDMA is OK if you get someone to collect you; other transport is messy (probably easy for the locals) and as you found the taxi costs are just amazing… According to the data I have, EDNX cannot be flown to/from the UK and is VFR-only. (We did have a thread on immigration being available at many German airports on a PNR basis but I don’t have access to the German VFR AIP).

Curiously, there are 5-8 year old pilot reports online saying that EDDM was accessible below 2000kg but IFR-only.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message