Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying the "glideslope" on a nonprecision approach (constant ground speed)

An Airbus has a “GS hold” mode. I don’t know what it’s used for, however.

I think you mean the GS mini Function :

EDxx, Germany

Most instructors recognise that we’re talking about NPAs and a 100ft discrepancy on approach isn’t going to make much difference with a 350ft MDH.

As Josh says, half estimated GS + a zero; the maths is easier. From there onwards range vs. altitude +/- 100ft at each range check is more than adequate.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 07 Nov 16:59
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

AeroPlus wrote:

Most instructors and examiners don’t like people asking too many questions.

Because they don’t know the answers themselves…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Even in a light twin increasing IAS could put you close to gear and flap limits?

You actually decrease the IAS, to hold a fixed GS, on a descent into any wind shear.

So the danger is getting too slow, not too fast.

An Airbus has a “GS hold” mode. I don’t know what it’s used for, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Most instructors and examiners don’t like people asking too many questions. I have in the past always been the person that wanted to know the WHY. Now I have been doing a lot of IFR flying, but for the MEP I had to go through an initial MEP/IR skills test doing it all as I also learned to do it when I just started flying IFR and went for the initial SEP/IR skills test. So, I opted to just go along with them which is already quite difficult as one instructor to another examiner might have a completely different view on how things MUST be done (according to them) such as when to lower the gear and you name it. So, my short answer: no, they did not tell me why 8% and I also did not ask :-)

EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

That is what was in the IR syllabus of the training school (+8%)

Did they tell you why? The exact ratio of VS in fpm to GS in knots for a 3° glideslope is about 5.3, so If you wanted the exact VS you should add 6%. But there is no point in trying to achieve that kind of precision as GS will change during the approach in any case.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Varying IAS would just lead to an unstable approach in a big jet surely especially with inherent speed instability away from target Apporach speeds? Even in a light twin increasing IAS could put you close to gear and flap limits?

Now retired from forums best wishes

Ps I use 5 x GS and plate VS as well. On my IRT wind was calm which was actually harder work than strong wind I found!

Last Edited by Balliol at 07 Nov 11:19
Now retired from forums best wishes

Half your ground speed and add a 0 to the end. I can’t multiply by 5…

London area

I use GS x 5 and 300 ft per NM … somehow my (already bad) math doesn’t work well in the airplane.

54 Posts
Sign in to add your message