Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA NCO General Aviation Safety

To me that sounded like a bit of hacking in the mountains, with low cloud around, which is generally pretty dodgy

The standard escape is to climb up but you generally can’t do that in, cough, cough, VFR A climb into cloud would have been the escape route on much of this flight

but not legally under VFR, and safe only if you know where the terrain lies (e.g. running a topo map on a GPS) so you don’t fly into something while still in cloud, and only if the cloud is thin.

An instrument capability is really priceless for safety.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think you may have missed several factors in your TEM..As each flight, pilot limitations and aircraft are different, perhaps I can mention.just a few.
You seem to be in the mountains so are there obstacles and what climb gradient will you need to clear the. How about turbulence and MSA. And you mention ditching in case of engine failure but no mention of requirement for life vests (legal requirement). It is very difficult to standardise something.which varies with each flight. You might be better with a list of what ifs.
Eg what if there is strong turbulence to 3000ft but a cloud base of 2000ft AGL.
Have I checked density altitude v take off distance etc.

France

It’s just an illustrative example with random values, nothing is based on a real airport or real flight (but I tried illustrating each item with a relevant case).

It’s not meant to cover everything in depth, but to have a good horizontal coverage of the most common things. I agree DA could use a small mention. Takeoff performance itself (barring unusual DA/PA) is definitely implied behind runway length: most of the times it’s sufficient to look at runway length and not do a precise takeoff performance calculation. The goal is really to identify things / threats, then it’s up to the pilot to apply relevant detailed procedures. So, if you identify a high elevation (I forgot temperature too) and a short runway, this definitely counts as a takeoff performance threat identification (then takeoff performance must be thoroughly checked).

Climb gradient is also somewhat implied behind surrounding terrain (it may be too implicit, or it may not belong there because it’s not that common of an issue?)

It’s obviously a balance to find between verification reliability and tediousness, and a midpoint between idiot-proof procedure and pilot experience. There’s also many ways to be a pilot, but I think I would (probably will) find much use in something like this. The one page format doesn’t seem too detailed to me, so not too off-putting and maybe of some actual use.

Thanks for the feedback !

Last Edited by maxbc at 19 Dec 21:36
France

For light aircraft, wind is very important for take-off and landing on marginal runways.
Back home, I suggested to the Cub pilot who departed ahead of me that " Lifting off from ## threshold" would have been more appropriate than “Rolling ##”.
Being aware of what is happening and not getting frozen in procedures is important.
The sad “TNFlygirl” is probably an example.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Absolutely. This only combats the ~1/3 of accidents that are preventable at the briefing stage.

Piloting errors are quite common even in airlines. And in GA there is generally no redundancy for that, so there is definitely another big subject there. A potential solution may be pointed to by the fact that most of those accidents involve problems in piloting basics (as opposed to advanced decision making, which is harder to assess / audit / improve). Decision making generally plays a role, but does not lead by itself to an accident; it (generally) takes an additional piloting error to trigger an accident. For example if stress is a big factor in triggering these errors, I think analyzing your own cockpit video of a stressful situation (or having it analyzed by fellow pilots) could help identify bad priorities (aviate, navigate, communicate, attitude and power vs avionics operation, etc.) and help improve.

There again, the framework is really not explicit enough. Any FI could give you feedback, but the simple fact that you could in many cases reply “I wasn’t taught that way” shows the lack of unification and the obstacle it creates for collective and personal improvement. And obviously spending 1h a year with a FI in perfect weather seems almost worthless from that point of view.

Last Edited by maxbc at 21 Dec 16:02
France

Back home, I suggested to the Cub pilot who departed ahead of me that " Lifting off from ## threshold" would have been more appropriate than “Rolling ##”.

Rolling take off is apparently shorter than static.

always learning
LO__, Austria
66 Posts
Sign in to add your message