Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

J Wagner ILS to minimums. :-) (and how much of the approach light system and the runway needs to be visible at minima)

Zsoszu wrote:

You are not allowed to conduct in VFR. He cancelled the IFR well before, In Hungary you must have TIZ with Class F airspace to conduct IFR approach on uncontrolled field, or go to controlled airport, which was nearby

I am assuming from what you write that the airfield is in class G airspace. Under EASA rules, he can legally fly IFR at any point in Class G airspace without clearance, can fly an unpublished approach to the airfield, and land. As long as he cancelled IFR and left Class E or above airspace in VMC before then flying IFR in Class G again, this would be legal. And if he had 3,000m below cloud in Class G, the landing itself would technically be within VFR limits, so the airfield being “VFR Only” does not make a difference.

And if the airfield was closed – who closed it? On what authority? And was the pilot told it was closed?

The reason I am asking – the chap was from Austria. How is he supposed to know the local rules that require a TIZ and Class F airspace for IFR approaches? Unless he was told “this airfield is closed”, I would find it highly problematic if he were prosecuted…

Biggin Hill

How VMC criteria and flying limits in G airspace are decided? I had the impression this happens inside the cockpit, especially when the airfield does not have an ATZ…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This sounds like Bismarck being applied to SERA around Europe

One EU official used that reference regarding to Spain and bullfighting, and SERA is way below that radar.

A pity the original video has been taken off youtube. Various copies exist however

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ok one by one.

The airfield has VMC limits published, below that, the airport operator may prohibit landing and takeoffs. It was told to him, he landed despite of it. The pilot was Local, the aircraft is registered in OE- , he knew the local regulations, which overrules the EASA rules.
I forgot to mentioned, the place is not even classified as airport.it is a place with runway infrastructure, no lights etc. Normally VFR only operation. In Hungary , no IFR allowed in Class G. He has to be clear until 4000 feet, where Class F meets Class G airspace, or he has to be within the TIZ. He may transit IFR in F or above which was there C (TMA), but he cancelled his IFR when he was in cloud, or btw layers. I think, it is not legal to descent into a 2-3000 feet thick layer without ground contact , even assuming you have 3k visibility below this layer. Anyway, in Class G you need to have visual with the ground. I know this DA62 has good systems, but the track he flew shows, that had no gnd contact at all when he said that. He flew large, long final with artificial GS or V/S . Procedure is nicely done, pissing on the rules is bad.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Zsoszu wrote:

he knew the local regulations, which overrules the EASA rules.
How can local regulations overrule EASA rules!?

In Hungary , no IFR allowed in Class G.

If there is such a national regulation, then it is invalid as individual countries/authorities are not at liberty to make additional regulations in areas where there already are EU regulations — and EU regulations very clearly permit IFR in class G.

but he cancelled his IFR when he was in cloud

That would indeed be illegal.

I think, it is not legal to descent into a 2-3000 feet thick layer without ground contact

Certainly legal for IFR.

Anyway, in Class G you need to have visual with the ground.

Only VFR below 3000’ MSL/1000’ AGL.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It is a matter of pilot perception, on doing appraches (published AIP or own DIY), especially with no radio contact or procedural services…for what I know around london, on bad days there is no way to be above MSA and VMC, still many fly IFR transit IFR to VFR land in VFR only airfields :)

No IFR is allowed in class G in Hungary, how do you fly IMC in class G? Either you simply just don’t or you have to be on a mayday?

In the US, I was told only "the brave
" fly IFR+IMC in class G…in the UK IFR+IMC in class G is the “wild west”, especially when LARS units or military radars gets switched off…but you still legally do it on marginal days and it is for the pilot to judge how IFR flyinh to VFR only landings unfolds, I agree if you land on 100m RVR it will not fly very well ;)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Dec 16:34
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

In the US, I was told only "the brave
" fly IFR+IMC in class G

There is no – legal – IMC flying in Class G in the US. The minimum vis is 1 mile, clear of cloud. The UK IMC in Class G is unique, AFAIK that doesn’t exist anywhere else.

IFR (therefore IMC) in Class G is legal in all of EASA-land.

Administrator

IFR does not equate IMC.

If IFR is legal then IMC is legal too.

The exceptions are things like a Visual Approach which is a procedure under IFR but flown in VMC, getting visual at the end of an IAP, etc.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message