Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

J Wagner ILS to minimums. :-) (and how much of the approach light system and the runway needs to be visible at minima)

Could the audio and video be out of sync?

It is not completely trivial to get that right – unless the audio is recorded with a mike connected to the video camera.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You can hear the mike clicks right after the passenger points out the lights are out, and the lights come up immediately after, so doesn’t look much out of sync to me

He must have great night vision. His replay of Garmin Pilot shows him landing at 5:20 PM at KAUN. Sunset was at 4:45 local time and the end of civil twilight is at 5:15 PM local time. There was an overcast, but this pilot was able to see an unlit runway 5 minutes past the onset of night according to the FAA definition. That rising moon and the reflection of the surrounding lights off of the base of the overcast must have lit up the runway.

KUZA, United States

Airborne_Again wrote:

Jesus…

…stood up and said to his disciples: “He that has never violated a FAR among you, let him first cast a stone at Jerry.

United States

BTW, he put the original video (the one with approach into Oakland) back online. But he edited the last couple of minutes heavily so as to add some CYA and he cut out a couple of the more interesting moments.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Lucius wrote:

…stood up and said to his disciples: “He that has never violated a FAR among you, let him first cast a stone at Jerry.”

Well, let me point out that I was among those that wrote that his first video did not provide any clear evidence of minima busting — among other reasons because in these conditions the human eye could very well see the approach lights before they were evident on the camera.

To me the worst thing with the second video was not possible FAR violations but that he did not even seem to notice that the runway lights were off until the passenger told him.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Completely agree that is what caught me, he was concentrated on a well executed approach and could well landed before runway lights are on, so I don’t know where he got his “visual references” but certainly he does and it is not on the camera lenses…

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Dec 08:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Cobalt wrote:

Under EASA rules, he can legally fly IFR at any point in Class G airspace without clearance

Can you indicate which EASA rules say this? IFR in Class G falls under national regulation, not EASA, and I don’t believe it is possible in all EASA countries. Up until recently is was not allowed, for example, in Switzerland.

LSZK, Switzerland

SERA.6001 Classification of airspaces
(a) Member States shall designate airspace in accordance with the following airspace classification …
(7) Class G. IFR and VFR flights are permitted….

In those countries where it is not possible at all, the country is breaking EU law if it is an EU country. Switzerland is a special case, depending on the exact agreement with the EU and local legislation, it may only break a treaty with the EU.

The national CAA’s can, in general, grant exemptions. Other than that, they are only permitted to restrict in very few areas, which are few and far between, such as

• mandate higher minimum flying heights/altitudes than in SERA, but must do so by designating airspace (GM to SERA 3105)
  • set conditions for formation flight in controlled airspace (SERA 3135)
  • specify if aircraft on water need to display lights other than at night (SERA 3230)
  • regulate when to file a flight plan (SERA 4001) and its contents (SERA 4005), and require radio contact (SERA 5005)
  • set higher VFR minima in mountainous terrain

and a few more items of similar (in-) significance.

Biggin Hill

Here is a new one by our friend.

It gets interesting from 33:20 onwards. This time however he’s handflying the ILS, watch the glideslope and the VSI.
Remark: don’t watch if you get scared easily.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 05 Feb 11:44
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Sign in to add your message