Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much of a performance loss would you notice / worry about?

AH = Altitude Hold

Interesting was my fast reaction before the EP (Envelope Protection) of the AP (AutoPilot) came into play.

Q (Question) to the once flying more VP/CS & auto-trim & no-EP: wouldn’t you recognize 10 percent power drop on your butt?

Last Edited by at 21 Dec 06:55

dejwu wrote:

AH = Altitude Hold

Interesting was my fast reaction before the EP (Envelope Protection) of the AP (AutoPilot) came into play.

Q (Question) to the once flying more VP/CS & auto-trim & no-EP: wouldn’t you recognize 10 percent power drop on your butt?

I would find it weird not to notice….I am always striving for efficiency and looking for causes for a decrease! But then when flying LOP above turbo critical altitude you have to be monitoring all the time anyway. Things can change a lot in one minute.

OTOH what was your aircraft type and what was your issue? Induction icing?

Antonio
LESB, Spain
I would find it weird not to notice….I am always striving for efficiency and looking for causes for a decrease! But then when flying LOP above turbo critical altitude you have to be monitoring all the time anyway. Things can change a lot in one minute.

OTOH what was your aircraft type and what was your issue? Induction icing?

So, you appear to be a bit elder as well …

A carb’ed 172 and induction icing and a detached carb heat cable … unfortunate combination ;-).

dejwu wrote:

you appear to be a bit elder as well

Always young in spirit, especially this time of the year. Glad to see you made if safely on the ground to that airport within gliding distance!

I always thought it would be rare to have induction icing in the carburetor with wide open throttle in cruise, but obviously not so rare or perhaps not WOT or the uncontrolled heating valve made it worse?

Last Edited by Antonio at 21 Dec 11:09
Antonio
LESB, Spain
Always young in spirit, especially this time of the year. Glad to see you made if safely on the ground to that airport within gliding distance!

I always thought it would be rare to have induction icing in the carburetor with wide open throttle in cruise, but obviously not so rare or perhaps not WOT or the uncontrolled heating valve made it worse?

I tend to see life as Camembert, it needs age to taste well ;-).

It wasn’t full WOT and the loose valve may have some take on it.

Antonio wrote:

I also check flaps since sometimes they have been inadvertently partially extended.

Yes. I have the same thing with my P210. I adjust the heating, and my hand has brushed the flaps handle, and I didn’t notice. Had me looking all around on my last flight, and my passenger silently wondering what was the sudden increase in stress level.

ELLX
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message