Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Briefing the go around

One of the clips is a FedEx, which I understood always briefed the go around at various gates on the approach as an SOP, in effect the mission was the go around, if all the conditions were met, and if and only all were met, would the approach/landing proceed to the next gate.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Maybe the Airbus should have landed. Easier access for the firecrew.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Maybe the Airbus should have landed. Easier access for the firecrew.

Not sure, but I think that was Habsheim. I guess he would have loved to if the machine had cooperated.

Here’s the Wikipedia article on the Habsheim flight: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_296

However, the elevators did not respond to the pilot’s commands, because the A320’s computer system engaged its “alpha protection” mode (meant to prevent the aircraft from entering a stall).

Hmmmm…

The aircraft was so behind the drag curve at the time GA power was selected that the he aircraft was a net energy loser even just before it hit the trees. Has the elevators responded to the full nose up pitch command of the pilot the aircraft would have stalled rather than hitting the trees in stable flight.

The accident started when the aircraft went into landing logic ( gear down, land flap, below a rad alt value ) so the alpha floor protection was pitch only rather than flight alpha floor protection mode that also adds power.

At any time the aircraft could have been taken out of the landing logic by selecting GA thrust but the aircraft was flown into part of the flight envelope from which it could not escape without more air below the wheels despite the very late selection of GA thrust.

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message