Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA46 Malibu N264DB missing in the English Channel

dejwu wrote:

‘Night’ is a tricky thing in this configuration. The FAA does not know any ‘Night Rating’, it is included in their PPL syllabus. But, with a piggyback 61.75 license based on foreign, all restrictions of the EASA license apply.

Not really. I had no night rating on my Australian PPL as if you have an IR you don’t need one. With an expired IR my 61.75 was still valid for night as my Australian Certificate did not say DAY ONLY on it. The FAA will not look into the regs just the doc itself.

EGTK Oxford

Yes this is entirely counter-intuitive. You basically get a free night qualification on a 61.75.

But you would not get it on a standalone FAA PPL unless you did the night hours, night cross countries, etc. I had a whole load of “fun” logging the night time for mine, flying between Southend and Cardiff…

The other advantage of a 61.75 is that you can fly an N-reg (worldwide) on a local medical. Handy for those who can’t get an FAA medical but can get the local one. Whether the medical has to be issued by the airspace owner (like the 61.3 license) is a good question.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
What about a vacuum pump failure? Do the BK autopilots continue to follow the AI regardless?

The AP will disconnect when pitch or roll exceed certain parameters. But if the AI itself is misreading and showing a 10 deg roll when the actual roll is 60 deg, the AP will follow it happily

Actually, on analog attitude-based autopilots it depends on the selected mode. Of course if certain pitch/roll indications are exceeded then it will disconnect, a s you say.

If on attitude hold mode, it will happily follow whatever wrong indication there is on the AI.

However if on HDG or GPSS or NAV and/or ALT HLD modes, it will a actually handle quite a large indication error without fault as long as the altitude ref, heading and nav sources are still good and you keep the ball centered.

As to digital ones, I do not know…I guess it depends on the internal logic.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

There is no doubt that flying in a single engine aircraft at night has a risk of having to make a glide landing that is higher than a twin. There is some doubt whether that risk is outweighed by the risk of loss of control in a twin when one engine fails.

This is also highly pilot dependent – an experienced twin pilot with high currency might come to a different conclusion on the relative risks than the pilot who hasn’t flown a twon for six months after getting the rating.

I really wish that pilots and regulators alike would leave that decision to the individual.

Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

Yes this is entirely counter-intuitive. You basically get a free night qualification on a 61.75.

I don’t think you do.

D. Night Restriction. Some foreign pilot licenses contain a restriction that prohibits the person from operating an aircraft at night. As an example, some foreign CAAs require their citizens to hold an instrument rating and/or a night flying privilege to operate an aircraft at night. That person must also comply with that night operating restriction of his or her foreign pilot license when exercising the privileges of the § 61.75 U.S. pilot certificate (refer to § 61.75(e)(3)). To clarify, while the FAA may not remove the night flying restriction, it is permissible for a foreign pilot who receives a U.S. pilot certificate on the basis of the person’s foreign pilot license to accomplish the required night flying training (for the appropriate grade level of U.S. pilot certificate held) from a holder of an FAA flight instructor certificate, and receive a solo endorsement to exercise night flying privileges on his or her U.S. pilot certificate.

This FAA Chief Counsel Opinion is also relevant.

Last Edited by bookworm at 28 Feb 12:10

bookworm wrote:

I don’t think you do.

D. Night Restriction. Some foreign pilot licenses contain a restriction that prohibits the person from operating an aircraft at night. As an example, some foreign CAAs require their citizens to hold an instrument rating and/or a night flying privilege to operate an aircraft at night. That person must also comply with that night operating restriction of his or her foreign pilot license when exercising the privileges of the § 61.75 U.S. pilot certificate (refer to § 61.75(e)(3)). To clarify, while the FAA may not remove the night flying restriction, it is permissible for a foreign pilot who receives a U.S. pilot certificate on the basis of the person’s foreign pilot license to accomplish the required night flying training (for the appropriate grade level of U.S. pilot certificate held) from a holder of an FAA flight instructor certificate, and receive a solo endorsement to exercise night flying privileges on his or her U.S. pilot certificate.

This FAA Chief Counsel Opinion is also relevant.

I think that a good example of the right hand does not what the left hand is doing… The first references seem to conflict with chief counsel.

Last Edited by Ted at 28 Feb 12:25
Ted
United Kingdom

The first references seem to conflict with chief counsel.

Yes I thought that too.

Otherwise, bookworm’s disagreement with me restores my faith in human nature It is obviously nonsensical to get a free night privilege, just by getting a piggyback license.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

restores my faith in human nature

Yes I get exactly where he is coming from, but often these inconsistencies create problems for people doing the right thing as in the example JasonC gave earlier. The same applies to 61.113 (Private pilot privileges and limitations), which is not actually all that clear in some cases. I bet you the lawyers will be testing that aspect as well.

Last Edited by Ted at 28 Feb 12:36
Ted
United Kingdom

Ted wrote:

Yes I get exactly where he is coming from, but often these inconsistencies create problems for people doing the right thing as in the example JasonC gave earlier. The same applies to 61.113 (Private pilot privileges and limitations), which is not actually all that clear in some cases. I bet you the lawyers will be testing that aspect as well.

I think bookworm’s quote comes from the guide to DPEs. The chief counsel opinion is rather clear. Unless it says DAY ONLY on the licence, I think you are not limited. It seems odd but can’t see another way to reconcile the view of the chief counsel’s office.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

It is obviously nonsensical to get a free night privilege, just by getting a piggyback license.

Even if that was true, it does not mean you should just go up and fly a long XC by night with no previous skill/training (or at least few dry runs) based on that “free right”

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message