Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA46 Malibu N264DB missing in the English Channel

AeroPlus wrote:

Why is the flight history of the N264DB not showing on flightradar24.com? I have a subscription, so it should show all flights up to 90 days in the past.

Good point. It doesn’t come up on Flightaware either. There the last flight is in 2007 apparently a ferry US > Europe.

dejwu wrote:

I can only think of transponder off
In airspace C and up, you can probably complain of mode S “not working right now” and only radiate mode C and get away with it. And not show up on FR24 for that flight. But the mere fact it exists in FR24 means it was S-capable.
ESMK, Sweden

From the Daily Hate Mail article it’s clear they have been reading the various forums :-)

The ice theory, licensing issues and wisdom of the flight as flown are all front and centre. Also the main topics here and elsewhere.

Poor piece on the flight plan, suggesting French authorities ‘expected’ Henderson to be flying. As if anyone looks at the pilot name field on a flight plan unless something has gone wrong.

EGLM & EGTN

Well, well, well…. reading the Daily Trash article to the end (and of course knowing the ‘quality’ of reporting there), it would appear there’s more to this than meets the eye. Second pilot (Henderson) saying he wasn’t there, but his passport scanned at security? Hmmmm…. again, it’s the DT, but still.

Arne wrote:

In airspace C and up, you can probably complain of mode S “not working right now” and only radiate mode C and get away with it. And not show up on FR24 for that flight. But the mere fact it exists in FR24 means it was S-capable.

Last time I looked into it FR24 they would use a triangulation method based on the ground stations signal strength, if you squawk Mode C/A and show a generic aircraft symbol.
Last Edited by at 25 Jan 17:42

172driver wrote:

Well, well, well…. reading the Daily Trash article to the end (and of course knowing the ‘quality’ of reporting there), it would appear there’s more to this than meets the eye. Second pilot (Henderson) saying he wasn’t there, but his passport scanned at security? Hmmmm…. again, it’s the DT, but still.

Could have been the personal direct apron access code card for the airport and not the passport? Still a violation of security rules to use somebody else’s card, but reported to have happened before on shared aircraft and somebody stored his card in the cockpit.

Last Edited by at 25 Jan 17:50

dejwu wrote:

Could have been the personal direct apron access code card for the airport and not the passport?

Possibly, but going from France to the UK you’d still have to show your passport.

You often “show” your passport by sending the details by email. It’s possible that someone intending to fly sent the email, but actually never landed. That would throw someone that only relied on emails off

Last Edited by Noe at 25 Jan 18:03

suggesting French authorities ‘expected’ Henderson to be flying

If the flight plan gives his name, and if (as reported) he has not been anywhere near the departure location for a year, why would his name appear on the flight plan?

Last time I looked into it FR24 they would use a triangulation method based on the ground stations signal strength, if you squawk Mode C/A and show a generic aircraft symbol.

FR24 (and the other tracking sites) show nothing for Mode A/C targets – because they radiate no identification. Such targets could be tracked if you really wanted to, but you would need to know the identity by time/place of departure, and might lose the tracking if another Mode A/C aircraft crosses the track being watched.

Note that a Mode S transponder will always send your 24 bit ID even if you turn off ALT. Basically anytime it is on at all, you are visible to FR24. So if you have a Mode S box installed and want to be below the radar, you either have to turn it off completely (and say to ATC you are non TXP equipped, which is no problem OCAS, France and UK, and no problem in France even in CAS) or set somebody else’s ID (which is trivially easy, and has happened by accident/misconfiguration many times). Or you install a Mode C box, which is in theory illegal for quite some years (except as a replacement for an identical Mode C box), but you can do it on a homebuilt.

The airplane information shown on FR24 is not transmitted by the airplane. The information comes from a giant database that has been built up manually during 5 years time

That doesn’t make sense. FR24 shows my tracks pretty reliably without me having had any contact with them whatsoever. There can be reasons for FR24 not showing a specific reg but it would not be true for other tracking sites – see e.g. here.

Been wondering that too, checked several sites and nada.

How long has it been since this plane arrived from Spain?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dejwu wrote:

It does not, FR24 still needs the Hex code from the mode-S to identify and track you, even with MLAT.
ESMK, Sweden
Sign in to add your message