Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel efficiency in cruise

denopa wrote:

PA46-350P: 0.41l/nm at FL190

That is interesting to compare with the very first post of this thread:

JasonC wrote:

P46T 276PPH/152lph 0.563 l/nm

I wonder what altitude that was at @JasonC. Dividing the lph by l/nm gives 270 KTAS which I can’t find for any altitude the POH at ISA conditions. I acknowledge that this was 7 years ago though.

Reducing to 1000 ft/lb of torque, you can fly the Meridian at 245 KTAS at FL250 for 223PPH/127lph or 0.518 l/nm.

MedEwok wrote:

beat a bicycle in travel time

Downhill, slightly under 1 mile for car versus bicycle (village, country lane).

DR.400/160: 24l/h and 114kts: 0.21 l/nm

Normally operated 4,000ft-FL85, ~2500rpm, leaned the old fashioned way. Just been averaging speeds on A-B-A flights to get an accurate cruise figure, which was 5-10 knots less than expected. On the other hand fuel burn per hour was a pleasant surprise

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How did you clean the injectors?

With AVGAS :-) I agree it seems counterintuitive, but we first did two of them, saw some improvements in take off fuel flow, did the last 4 and saw a proportional improvement after that.

EGTF, LFTF

That sounds completely weird. If this made any difference, the first two would have made those two cylinders run way rich.

Injector cleaning is normally done with MEK – a nasty solvent which dissolves stuff which avgas doesn’t dissolve.

However there is a view out there that soaking the whole injector can potentially clean out the air intake aperture… which won’t affect the flow rate but will improve atomisation.

I wonder if you had particulate contamination clogging up the thin stainless injector feed tubes?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Could be. I’ll let you know next time my take off fuel flow goes below 38usg/h :-)

EGTF, LFTF

Capitaine wrote:

DR.400/160: 24l/h and 114kts: 0.21 l/nm

Normally operated 4,000ft-FL85, ~2500rpm, leaned the old fashioned way. Just been averaging speeds on A-B-A flights to get an accurate cruise figure, which was 5-10 knots less than expected. On the other hand fuel burn per hour was a pleasant surprise

Thats interesting. Our club has 2x Robin DR400-140B with 160HP engines. Using 2450rpm in the cruise (leaned the old fashioned way) and from my own figures they both average about 27ltrs/hr while flying between 1000-5000ft overall when touring… but one DEFINITELY flies faster than the other by about 5-7kts.

Regards, SD..

arj1 wrote:

Can anyone provide the numbers for DA40 TDI or NG (i.e. diesel)?

I remember it was 20 liters per hour with 115kt cruise on average. Thielert 2.0. That’s what I used in planning after a few hundred hours in it.
So 0,17L/NM. I have no logs to back it up.

For the TBM-930 I have 760 hours of Garmin logs and it shows 0.95L/NM on average.

Most efficient flight in LRC and with a tailwind was 0,53L/NM.

Last Edited by loco at 26 Jul 05:37
LPFR, Poland

Boeing 788
0,034 L/NM/Seat

always learning
LO__, Austria

TB20, 4-up, 150kt TAS, 10.5GPH gives me 0.066 L/NM/seat – if I did it right.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Warrior ii comes in at .07 on this measure, and the Super Cub at .12, although economically one should apply typical load utilisation rather than assume every seat is filled. The less than streamlined Cherokee Six-260 would come in at around .05 with all seven seats occupied.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message