Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France: straight-in IFR joins prohibited (a VFR circuit is mandatory?) if tower is unmanned

When doing RNAV practise approaches at Calais LFAC one starts by talking to Lille which IS ATC.
If the tower at Calais is not manned they ask me to broadcast in french on the Calais frequency my actions/intentions in order to complete the procedure.
They have NEVER told me to do a circuit and/or inspect the runway.
Rather they instruct me to complete the procedure, land, and (if it is my initial approach) remind me to close my flight plan on the ground.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

I agree it’s not unreasonable. However circle-to-land is probably one of the most challenging IFR manoeuvres, and if there’s a legal way to avoid doing it (maybe assessing conditions at the airfield by getting the weather at a nearby location), it may be better… But that doesn’t seem to be what the regs are saying. I’m quite grateful that we can do IFR approaches in the absence of AFIS so I cannot complain!

EGTF, LFTF

I think this restriction is worse than that, because when you have finished with the IAP you are by definition in VMC and could find yourself in excellent visual conditions for landing straight-in.

Had you arrived VFR (not from an IAP) this requirement for circling would not apply

I can see the thinking behind it but in so many real-life scenarios it is silly.

Also it encourages people to cancel IFR early and do a DIY “VFR” descent (actually, just fly the IAP procedure) and then the requirement doesn’t apply.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is indeed a law which states that a circle to land must be performed during non-ATS hours.

Peter_G wrote:

If the tower at Calais is not manned they ask me to broadcast in french on the Calais frequency my actions/intentions in order to complete the procedure.
They have NEVER told me to do a circuit and/or inspect the runway

They would never told you to do such thing as :
1/ It’s uncontrolled airpsace and ATC will not issue clearance / order OCAS.
2/ This procedure is fully descibed in AIP ENR 1.1.10.5.1.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 23 Jul 10:43

Peter wrote:

Had you arrived VFR (not from an IAP) this requirement for circling would not apply

VFR must traffic must also fly full circuit pattern when joining a VFR traffic pattern during non-ATS hours per AIP : .

c) Other aerodromes
On aerodromes other than controlled or AFIS aerodromes the pilot in command shall himself assess the parameters :
- on departure: before leaving the apron;
- on arrival before joining the aerodrome traffic by examining the aerodrome;
such examination shall when possible be made from an altitude greater than the highest aerodrome traffic circuit and in particular cover the signal area the wind cone and the surface condition of the manoeuvering area in order to determine the landing area or runway to be used and ensure that the use of the aerodrome does not imply any hazards.

Note 1: In the case of a non powered aircraft arriving and if the manoeuvring possibilities do not allow the pilot in command to comply with the above instructions, he shall assess the parameters in regard to the aircraft’s ability to glide and to any other aircraft already in the aerodrome traffic.

Note 2: A pilot in command may decide when arriving not to perform the aerodrome inspection:
- when he has obtained information on the runway in service from identification reports made by other pilots flying in the aerodrome traffic ;
- when he already possesses information on the wind and on signals likely to be placed on the signal and manoeuvering areas

1.1.10.4.2 Rules for joining aerodrome traffic
Once he has been informed of the parameters by radio in accordance with para. 4.1 b) assessed them in accordance with para. 4.1 c) and noted the position of any other aircraft in the aerodrome traffic the pilot shall join the traffic at the starting point of the down wind leg at the aerodrome traffic circuit ensuring a visual separation from any other aircraft already flying in the aerodrome traffic and allowing them priority

Thanks Guillaume for copying the relevant regulation, one more time.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@Peter_G although Lille approach might clear you for the approach it is unlikely that they will clear you to land, that is the job of TWR or AFIS in the absence of which you must, like it or not, carry out the landing procedure mentioned above.
@Peter, I have yet to meet a French IR pilot who either doesn’t know this regulation or ignores it when it suits. It wouldn’t be the dgac who takes him/her to task but their own peers. As I said in another post, the culture is very different here to that in the UK.

France

Interesting that this applies to VFR joins also.

So, regardless of weather, and using the radio to check traffic, a joining pilot cannot land straight-in but has to fly around the airport first?

It wouldn’t be the dgac who takes him/her to task but their own peers.

What do they do to him?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What do they do to him?

Fart in their general direction?

Sorry couldn’t resist.

EGTF, LFTF

Is it not the same as the standard vfr overhead join in the UK? If you know the runway in use and there is no -one in the circuit to cut up them there is no reason not to join base or long final, but cut up an instructor with a student or start a downwind leg to the wrong runway because you have decided not to bother checking the wind sock, and you more than likely hear the slagging off from said instructor, chief pilot or airfield safety advisor in the next department. Airfields such as Avranches and Ouessant sometimes have sheep either grazing on the runway or crossing to get greener grass. Hit one of them and you might well receive a bill. My IR instructor always used to say that once you are visual its see amd avoid, not hear and avoid.

France
Sign in to add your message