Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Restricted areas in Holland & Germany

@Steve6443 Yes I changed base to Hildesheim as the outfit I rented from at Hannover sadly sold all of their SEPs. Now back at a smaller airfield with decent operating hours, everything has become easier for me (and cheaper!). Didn’t try the restaurant here yet…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

skydriller wrote:

I cant find “Cornfield” on SkyDemon, but Im guessing “the causeway” is the A7?

Cornfield I recall is 122.1 but please check with Texel. It’s useful for getting across the R4 with a local time window. My info may be way out of date since iv’e not needed it recently choosing times when R4 is not active. BTW I’ve found Dutch Mil to be much more helpful in the last couple of years. Didn’t know about Bremen becoming Langen – thanks.

The causeway is indeed the A7. an interesting ride at 1000’ in poor vis.You can track to it from Texel, across the Wadden Sea and then back to the coast near Ameland. Ameland will have the status of R4 if Dutch Mil are not playing.. Amsterdam will have activity status for R4 long before you get there. If in doubt, land at Texel.

The Frisian Islands are indeed beautiful and you won’t be disappointed – a string of desert islands in the N Sea! I’ve stayed overnight at Wangerooge where you can walk to the hotel and the front. Might need a reservation this time of year. Main downside is risk of fog next day, hopefully not in August! Also a fascinating narrow gauge, but ‘real’ train to the the ferry terminal.

If routing N up the German coast St Peter Ording EDXO is a lovely welcoming stop with fuel from where you can route to Aalborg for Oslo or Aarhus if heading to Gothenburg ~ 50mi sea crossings to Sweden.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

R4 tends not to be very active these days – the defence budget does not include many flying hours.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message