Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wise words on loss of control prevention (video)

I’ve had almost similar on a checkout on a 172 in Princeton (NJ, USA).
On seconds takeoff (which was going to be for a gliding circuit), instructor ask me why I retarted the throttle. I tell him (as lower the nose) I’m full thriller, look, my hand is still b pushing it forward

Plane climbing at 100 fpm, rpms af 1700 or so, did a tight circuit and landed.
Ended up finding another plane at same outfit (I was renting to go to Oshkosh), and he said we didn’t need to go through the rest of the checkout

Last Edited by Noe at 05 Oct 14:27

Brilliant, thank you

Jujupilote wrote:

It seems EFATO is one of the only thing we do better than the US. It is practiced in France for any checkride or flight review.
I got it engraved in my “flying instinct” from maybe my 3rd flying lesson.

UK too, though it is usually briefed about pre-flight. Which leads me to a story Ive perhaps told elsewhere:

Picture the “hour with instructor” in France where we have briefed that we will do a couple of circuits then IMC training for an hour. Climbing away from the aerodrome at 300ft I see the instructor reach and chop the power just as I remove my hand from the throttle to retract flaps…. my instant reaction….push and Instant throttle to full power yelling in English “WHAT the FCUK do you think are you DOING!!!” and as I stabilise the climb angrily look across to see him looking back incredulously open mouthed…

…At which point I suddenly twig he was attempting an EFATO exercise… oops…

Much laughter afterwards…

Regards, SD..

ArcticChiller wrote:

his biggest concern was that I didn’t immediately inform ATC

I do hear ATC communicates to other traffic behind/ahead that someone have gone around even before they tell them (don’t need clearance to go around = zero priority and you should not piss anyone if you keep runway heading slightly to the dead side), for sure everybody near a well functioning tower/airfield will know that you have gone around or have an EFATO simply using their ears or eyes/radars, so I don’t see much the practical benefit to broadcast that given your other priorities

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Sep 13:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The idea of getting the ATCO pissed off on purpose is just unthinkable here

I know enough atcos who are pissed off, no matter what !

EBST, Belgium

Jujupilote wrote:

I loved that part of the video!
When I did my conversion from FAA to EASA, I flew with an instructor who gave me a go-around just over the runway. During reconfiguration of the aircraft, his biggest concern was that I didn’t immediately inform ATC. I remember thinking that this was my last priority. It’s one thing to know the saying “aviate, navigate, communicate” and it’s another thing to actually do it. In this video the instructor is teaching this in a real situation, that’s awesome.

On RT and distractions, I remember one FI who was very good on RT so good that he replies 1/10 second if I don’t reply, I would like to see him flying next to the guy !

On recovery from SE EFATO, I am sure the whole video can be summarized in good stick/speed discipline in slow speeds? or to his point just avoid flying “the back of the drag curve” in all configurations

What is lacking is appreciation of full forward stick required and time needed to prevent primary and secondary (accelerated) stalls before manoeuving with high AoA in secondary flight regimes like go arounds with full flaps or engine fail on Vx climb, basically anytime you are hanging to the prop and controls feel reversed

In gliding winch cable breaks, you get load of that “light in seat” engraved in the mind: you climb 45 degrees at 1.4G wing loading, cut of power, full forward 0G stick once you get “the recovery speed” you can decide to land ahead of turn, in theory, you should know your options vs height before getting strapped but many (including me) still get caught on partial power failures, hasty turns or late decision making: your fast reflex to the surprise element go down really quick and hesitations/delays start to come back: when was the last time you had proper real/simulated EFATO that caught you by surprise?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Great video, and great to see a CFI doing some “research” to improve safety, not just teaching stuff from the book. This concept of a minimum speed is great, like the “stable approach” criteria.

It seems EFATO is one of the only thing we do better than the US. It is practiced in France for any checkride or flight review.
I got it engraved in my “flying instinct” from maybe my 3rd flying lesson.

LFOU, France

Yes Robert, I agree. I did take from it a slightly different view, that going light in the seat was a result of achieving the appropriate nose-down attitude soley tied to aggressively trying to achieve flying speed. Rather than just doing only the 1st part and not actually achieving the speed, where a secondary stall would ensue.

I’d like to clarify for me personally, that when I have infrequent pax, or new pax, I always did/do a EFATO brief, but my emphasis was more for them than me.
I always believed I would be sure to react promptly and appropriately.
I usually fly with the missus, and don’t do a brief.

I now however, see the potential benefit for briefing ME, just to give me a tiny little focus point, before getting re-immersed regular in piloting tasks.

United Kingdom

Worth watching as the FI has a distinct teaching style, and the SE EFATO is still a problem area. Going ‘light in the seat’ unloads the wing, however it might set you up for a secondary stall when you are back at 1 G, as the stall speed is a function of G. But the minimum manoeuvring speed concept should avoid the risk of a secondary stall.

UK/EASA there is an EFATO on SE check rides, so hopefully not a training gap. Ditto an EFATO brief would be part of the departure brief.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message