Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FI/CRI revalidation of non-NAA papers

The OP was asking about FI/CRIs, the thread has drifted onto a discussion about FEs. I think the answer to the original question is: very unlikely that your NAA will approve that. As you can see, the playing field is already bumpy enough for examiners.

Qalupalik wrote:

Only examiners administered by the same competent authority may endorse a licence to revalidate a rating other than by a proficiency check.

This is the UK CAA’s view, which is repeated quite vocally by many British pilots on several forums. Other authorities have more liberal views: as lionel says, it depends on the country that issued the candidate’s licence. Ireland also issues a blanket authorisation to all EASA FEs. Some argue that there is an exception when it comes to revalidation by experience and they claim that this comes from rulemakers in Cologne, but nobody has been able to show me a legal text to support this exception.

Without wishing to link to another forum, you can google the words: Revalidation of Irish SEP rating with FCL945 privileges
First result, posts #2 and #9 are relevant for Ireland.

Last Edited by Berto at 26 Dec 14:42
EBZW

@Berto

lionel’s post has nothing to do with examiners endorsing a licence for SPA class revalidation by experience. That administrative action is outside the scope of the Aircrew Regulation and consequently the EASA Examiner Differences Document is irrelevant.

London, United Kingdom

So for revalidation by experience the FI/CRI signing the license needs to have a license from the same country as the license he revalidates?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Instructors obliged by FCL.945 to endorse a licence shall do so only “if specifically authorised for that purpose by the competent authority responsible for the applicant’s licence.

London, United Kingdom

Yes, I understand you can’t signoff on the license (FI or FE) for rating revalidation by experience unless authorized by French DSAC or you are a local fcl945 instructor or examiner, altought it does not seem to be an issue to just do the revalidation then send both pilot & instructor papers and let the NAA to do the rating extension?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

altought it does not seem to be an issue to just do the revalidation then send both pilot & instructor papers and let the NAA to do the rating extension?

Correct, that works well, I’ve done it several time with Norwegian CRI and sending a scan of his license to the DGAC.

ENVA, Norway

Thanks WW&W, now I got 4 data points on this already

Ibra wrote:

Yes, I understand you can’t signoff on the license (FI or FE) for rating revalidation by experience unless authorized by French DSAC or you are a local fcl945 instructor or examiner, altought it does not seem to be an issue to just do the revalidation then send both pilot & instructor papers and let the NAA to do the rating extension?

Right, that is up to the local authority. The French are quite relaxed and you can do this without problem, the UK not at al… Others???

Yes, UK CAA is less relaxed on this, I got a 30 pages pdf from an IAA FE to support a 3 page renwal of a rating

He told me he has to send the same package for rating renwal by test, twice size for skill-tests or english ELPs

Has UK CAA refused a renewal on a UK FCL by a non-UK FI/CRI with paper forms posted (no fcl945 signoff on the back)?

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Dec 21:23
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message