Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory / minimal IFR equipment for Europe

Neil agree, it’s a highly choreographed affair where the candidate knows to the minute what happens next.

An FAA check ride, that isn’t pencil whipped (never been my experience), with a solid pre flight interview/oral test, random emergencies under different scenarios, 1/4 deflection standard, various airports and an asymmetric circling approach to land – always struck me as much more a real world test of IR skills – and the examiner costs half the current CAA fee.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I can’t understand schedule 4 and 5 of the ANO

Form time to time I shoot largely NDB and occasionally SRA approaches into airports based in Class D airspace. Could anyone tell me what the minimal equipment carriage is.

One aircraft I use has ADF, DME and Mode C transponder

Another

ADF, VOR and Mode A transponder

And neither of them have two altimeters

From PPLIR’s summary (https://www.pplir.org/using-the-rating/1072-part-nco)

CERTIFICATION OF INSTRUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT

Flight instruments, navigation and communication equipment, as well as any equipment installed in the aircraft (except spare fuses, torches, clocks, first aid kits, survival equipment and child restraints) must meet the applicable airworthiness requirements. Other required equipment need not be of an approved type.

LIGHTS

The usual lights (anti-collision, nav, landing and instrument) are required for night operations, as well as a torch for each crew station.

INSTRUMENTS

For VFR by day, a

compass,
clock (can be a watch, GPS or phone),
altimeter and
airspeed indicator
are required, or rather the means must be available to measure what they measure, e.g. via a flight data computer or other integrated system.

For VFR at night (or where there is no visual horizon), in addition to the above

turn and slip,
attitude indicator,
vertical speed indicator and
direction indicator
are required, as well as a low vacuum/power warning for the gyros.

For IFR, an OAT indicator and pitot heat are required in addition to the VFR night kit.

Doesn’t look like 2nd altimeter is needed.

Post moved to existing very similar thread

I am looking to upgrade a pure VFR C206 to IFR. Can someone point to the correct regs. for the minimum requirements for aircraft operated under IFR? Instrumentation (redundancy?) and avionics (autopilot? guess this is a matter of which approaches one wants to fly etc?). Is eu-ops 1.652 the go-to reg?

I guess it requires it to be stated in the POH and on the panel that the aircraft is approved for IFR?

Thanks for the input guys.

Last Edited by NorFlyer at 16 Nov 08:32
Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Air Ops Annex VII – Non-Commercial Operation of other than complex aircraft is the correct one

https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/regulations/commission-regulation-eu-no-8002013

EASA also provides acceptable means of compliance (AMC) and guidance material (GM) in that topic:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/acceptable-means-compliance-and-guidance-materials-group/part-nco-non-commercial-operations-other?search=&

Be aware there might be additional requirements depending on the airspace you intend to use, e.g. the famous DME for IFR in German airspace.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Thanks Charlie! In combination with AIP GEN 1.5, one should have a good overview of the requirements.

ENEG

Be careful about taking advice from AIP GEN 1.5. Germany’s, for example, was last updated in July 2016, before Part-NCO came into force. Some of the requirements listed there are certainly not consistent with Part-NCO, and if there is any attempt to enforce them then I’d very much like to know.

My assumption is that some stuff in the German AIP is nothing else but a futile attempt at gold-plating the EASA-regs. This is not limited to the AIP – even some regulations like LuftPersV contain requirements which are not consistent with Part-FCL, and this has been updated well after FCL came into force.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

It’s doubtful — to say the least — if a blanket requirement for DME is legal. (Clearly it is if there is a procedure that specifically requires DME.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Where are with GPS in lieu of DME in EASA-land?

ENEG
Sign in to add your message