Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory / minimal IFR equipment for Europe

I’ve also been confused, so I made a table for the national requirements for IFR:

It can be found here: https://www.cb-ir.net/national-ifr-requirements/

I’ll appreciate feedback, comments and suggestions for improvement. :)

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

Bathman wrote:

Personally I can never see why anyone would pull out a perfectly working DME when they upgrade a panel. Its so easy to use.

Possibly panel space. My DME is a KNS80, which is huge, and M20K panel space is not that huge. But I’m not redesigning it yet.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Malibuflyer wrote:

Therefore: You might not get caught if you brake the law by flying an approach that requireds DME without one – but it is a seriously stupid idea and can in the end cost you lot of money if not more.

Exactly. So simply fly the RNP07/25 at EDDS if not DME equipped.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@ErlendV wrote:

I’ll appreciate feedback, comments and suggestions for improvement. :)

8.33 kHz is in practise required for IFR everywhere in the EU and the EEA, at least. (EU regulation 1070/2012, article 5, item 4.) The only exception is if you fly IFR in class G without being required to be in radio communication with someone. (This is actually possible in some places, but of little operational relevance.)

Mode S is required everywhere in the EU and the EEA, at least. (EU regulation regulation 1207/2011, with amendements, article 5, item 5a.) Another matter is if an individual country is enforcing the use of mode S. Possibly not.

You could cut out the whole “other requirements” part – except for the PBN stuff. It’s just FUD. There is no basis in EASA regulations for it and national law can’t override EU regs. (Well, possibly for non-EU members, depending on how the agreement with EU/EASA is written.)

As regards the 2×COM requirement in particular, please check this statement by EASA.

You can’t just go by what the AIPs say. In an ideal world we could, but lots of AIP info about equipment is wrong for some reason or another, such as:

• national authority has not (yet) bothered changing the AIP after EU regs were changed/introduced
  • applicable only to CAT as NCO is seen as an unimportant special case
  • the national authority objects to the EU regs and tries to scare people into carrying more equipment than they need
Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Jan 15:10
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thank you for invaluable feedback, @Airborne_Again !

I guess the conclusion is that if you comply with the requirements for the airspace within you fly, you’ll pretty much be okay. :) 👌

As with 8,33 and Mode S I believe it comes to “enforcement”, as you say. That’s probably why we have an “exempt” in Norway (not very dense airspace etc.).

I’ll refine, “finish” and update the list in the coming days. I think it will be nice to have a comparison of this part of the AIPs anyway, as we have these strange differences… Is this something for AOPA to dig into maybe?

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

These lists tend to be meaningless, for the reasons posted by A_A above. So anyone trying to compile a matrix is just wasting their time, sadly. It would be a fool’s errand, to use an idiom.

Speaking practically, you can fly VFR and IFR (below FL200, it seems) in France without 8.33, and VFR without any transponder anywhere where VFR is possible (below FL120 only in much of France). And probably in most of mainland Europe.

You can also fly without 8.33 in nearly all UK GA situations since the UK implemented nearly all 8.33 channels (used by GA) with the “5kHz add-on” which uses the same actual frequency If you don’t get what I mean, read e.g. this.

I have a 25k radio and an 8.33 radio and very rarely need to use the 8.33 one, and I fly 99% IFR on the mainland.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes operationally you don’t need 8k in France but it’s a legal requirement, I have 25k & 8k in my aircraft, the only case where I felt 8k would be necessary was to switch ON PCL at StNazaire when landing out of hours on a late arrival (it did not go ON with the 25k radio )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Speaking practically, you can fly VFR and IFR (below FL200, it seems) in France without 8.33, and VFR without any transponder anywhere where VFR is possible (below FL120 only in much of France). And probably in most of mainland Europe.

I think this statement is too broad, at least as far as the transponder part is concerned. You are much less likely to get CAS transits without a working transponder.

The part about having a 8.33kHz radio but only very rarely needing 8.33kHz frequencies (channels) is true, but since the carriage is an airspace requirement, the point is moot. FWIW, I have a GNS430W as the 8.33kHz radio but it is set to 25kHz spacing most of the time, but it covers the “Y” in box 10 (equipment list) of the flight plan.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

If the insurance company can prove that a navigational aid was mandatory, that the pilot deliberately started an approach without that aid, and that the absence of that aid was the cause of or a contributing factor to the accident, then they will refuse to pay to the extent permitted by law, and will try to recover what they paid from your estate.

Paris, France

The above is highly national insurance law dependent. For example in the UK they cannot go after the estate of a named insured.

I think this statement is too broad, at least as far as the transponder part is concerned. You are much less likely to get CAS transits without a working transponder.

I said “practically” Also CAS transits depend on where. A lot of VFR traffic is Mode C only (because it keeps it off FR24 etc – important for non locally registered Annex 1, for example) and in a lot of places (France and Spain being some) you cannot stick to Class G and go very far. But this is getting off the topic, which is IFR. I am pretty sure that IFR in the Eurocontrol system will not work usefully without Mode S – except perhaps in Sweden where you can famously do it at 3000ft

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message