Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 G-CTAM ditches near a beach in the UK

I understand that over 90% of ditchings are perfectly survivable. Still, pulling the chute is a nice option to have.

EHTE, Netherlands

Off_Field wrote:

With that logic aircraft tyres have saved millions of lives and continue to do so with most landings

LOL..!!

Belgrade LYBE, Serbia

Any time you can walk away from a scary event it’s a good thing, regardless of how it was done, and especially if you’d already paid ahead for the option used. This owners risk management strategy apparent paid off!

Personally, I could get wound up about a parachute for a plane which which you’d have an unlikely chance of making a successful forced landing, a Pitts S-1 or something similar that glides like a brick, fast, and from which you can’t see well. Some of the little hot rod Lancairs also come to mind. Interesting planes with which there is a hesitancy in my mind, based on safety in the event of an engine failure. I’d want the plane and the chute to be uncertified to simplify ownership.

My view of flying is probably very different from any Cirrus owner – to me they are utility planes and if I had a job that required that kind of plane my tendency (whether right or wrong) would be to buy the least expensive thing that would reasonably do the job.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Jun 02:53
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message